Walking around Ellicott City is a healthier, more environmentally friendly alternative to driving. Unfortunately, it is not without risk; accidents can happen if drivers or other parties do not respect pedestrians’ right to use the roadway. If this happens to someone in your family, our lawyer can help.
MD Accident Law is committed to representing injured individuals, not big businesses or corporations. An Ellicott City personal injury lawyer can fight to protect your rights and get your family fair compensation for your losses.
How Does Pedestrian Accident Compensation Help Ellicott City Residents?
Filing a legal action may seem like a lot of unnecessary work when all you want to do is recover from your accident. There are, however, many advantages to seeking compensation with help from our Ellicott City pedestrian accident lawyer:
- Your family would be able to afford all of the things they need and are accustomed to having.
- You would not have to rush back to work before you are ready or worry about finding a new job right away.
- Forcing the liable party to pay compensation is a good way to hold them responsible for their actions—and to show other reckless drivers that there are consequences for failing to respect pedestrians.
Compensation for Bodily Injuries Caused by Pedestrian Accidents
Your physical health and emotional well-being—not to mention the well-being of your entire family—have taken a hit because of the other party’s carelessness. You deserve compensation for:
- The physical pain, discomfort, and distress that you would not have had to endure if the liable party had behaved better
- All of the things you can no longer do, such as playing outside with your children, walking the dog, or cooking dinner for your family
- The emotional trauma or mental illness that resulted from your experiences during and after the accident and that now keeps you from having normal relationships with others
Compensation for Money Lost in a Pedestrian Accident
This may be the first thing you think of when you consider seeking compensation for an accident. The crash has already taken a toll on your family’s finances, and it may well continue to do so for months or years to come. For this reason, we can pursue damages for:
- The money you spend on medical treatments, such as surgery, assistive devices, therapy, or medication
- The salary and job benefits you used to earn (this is especially important if you were your family’s primary breadwinner)
- The cost of hiring others to complete jobs you were once responsible for, such as mowing the lawn or taking care of dependent children or adults
For legal consultation with a pedestrian accident attorney in Ellicott City, call (410)777-8960
Our Attorneys Handle Everything for Ellicott City Pedestrian Crash Survivors
After a traffic collision involving a car or any other motor vehicle, you have the right to hire a personal injury lawyer from Adam M. Smallow to assist you with:
- Sending and receiving critical paperwork, including settlement offers and demand letters
- Quantifying your injuries so you know exactly how much they are worth
- Confirming the liable party’s identity by collecting and examining evidence, such as police reports and eyewitness accounts
- Figuring out whether it is worth the time to try and negotiate a settlement, or if you should take the at-fault party straight to court
- Determining what to say to the liable party and how to say it
- Understanding what rights and responsibilities you have as a pedestrian accident survivor (we even give clients a special phone number they can use to reach us via text at any time)
- Finding a high-quality medical provider to diagnose your injuries, administer treatment, and offer their professional opinion on how your injuries will impact your life
The Maryland Statute of Limitations and Your Pedestrian Accident Case
According to Md. Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 5-101, you have just three years after an accident to file a case for damages. It is in your best interests that you come to talk to us as soon as possible so we can seek compensation while there is still time.
If you suspect that the statute of limitations has already passed in your case, we encourage you to get in touch with us anyway. The legal professionals at MD Accident Law can assess your situation and work to find a way to get you the money you need.
Ellicott City Pedestrian Accident Attorney (410)777-8960
Taking Precautions Against Ellicott City Pedestrian Accidents
If another party is determined to act recklessly, there may be nothing you can do to prevent a pedestrian accident injury. Nevertheless, there are steps that pedestrians and other roadway users can take to keep everyone safe. For instance:
- Drivers of any vehicle—including cars, trucks, and motorcycles—should come to a full stop at all red lights and stop signs.
- Everyone should be extra careful at intersections and crosswalks, even if it seems like no one else is around.
- Pedestrians should look both (or all) ways before stepping into the street, and they should cross briskly without lingering in the flow of traffic.
- If you are walking with children, keep a close eye on them. Hold their hands if you have to so that they do not dart out into the road.
- Everyone should stay within well-lit areas as much as possible. If you have to walk or drive through a street with few lights, go slow and do extra checks before crossing the road.
Thousands Suffer Because of Maryland Pedestrian Accidents
The safety tips listed above are not just a matter of courtesy; they are also a matter of life and death. The first page of a report issued by Zero Deaths Maryland shows that, in 2022, over 2,500 people were injured in pedestrian crashes in the state, and 131 were killed.
If the worst has happened and your family is paying the price for a reckless driver’s actions, we want to be there for you. The team at Adam M. Smallow works hard so that our clients can process their injuries and concentrate on getting the treatment they need.
Ellicott City Pedestrian Accident Survivors Deserve Legal Representation
Want to learn more about the benefits of hiring our Ellicott City pedestrian accident lawyer? Call Adam M. Smallow at (410) 777-8960 to get a free case review. Members of our team are standing by to assess your case over the phone at no obligation to you.