Accidents happen every day. Sometimes, they are just that: accidents. On other occasions, they are the result of someone else’s negligence. If you were hurt by another party’s negligence in an auto accident, slip and fall accident, or another way, you may be able to hold the at-fault party financially responsible for your injuries.
An Edgewood personal injury lawyer from the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow can support you by investigating your accident, gathering evidence in your defense, and pursuing compensation on your behalf.
Allow us to take the burden of legal action off your shoulders so you can focus on healing from your injuries. For a free initial consultation on your case, contact the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow today.
Common Types of Personal Injury Accidents in Edgewood, Maryland
There are a wide variety of personal injury accident types. Some of the most common types of personal injury accidents include:
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Motor vehicle accidents can result from many forms of driver negligence, such as violating a traffic law, distracted driving, drugs or alcohol, or fatigue. If we can prove that another driver’s negligence caused your accident, they may be liable to you in a personal injury claim. This may be true whether you were a driver, motorcyclist, bicyclist, or pedestrian involved in an accident.
Many think that they can trust physicians and nurses implicitly. Unfortunately, sometimes doctor negligence harms patients. If a patient experiences worse symptoms or new injuries because a doctor’s care fell below a reasonable standard, that patient may be able to recover compensation in a medical malpractice case.
Medical malpractice can occur at many levels of the healthcare system, from an individual’s negligence to system defects.
Slip and Fall Accident
Slip and fall accidents can cause serious injuries. Whether you have a valid personal injury case after a slip and fall accident may depend on whether the person who created the unsafe situation had a duty to take reasonable protective care.
If the defendant was a business owner and the victim a customer, they are in a voluntary relationship, and the defendant owed the customer a duty of care. If there is a foreseeable likelihood that the business owner’s behavior––or lack thereof––could cause injuries, they may be liable.
Products liability refers to situations where any party who is involved in the supply chain of a product causes a defect that results in harm to a plaintiff. The defect could be in the design, manufacturing, or marketing of a product. An example of a marketing defect is if a drug manufacturer fails to warn the public about the product’s potential dangers or side effects.
These are not the only scenarios that may give rise to a personal injury case. If you believe that another party’s negligence caused your injuries in any way, call the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow for a free, no-obligation consultation with an Edgewood personal injury lawyer.
For legal consultation with a personal injury attorney in Edgewood, call (410)777-8960
Laws That Could Impact Your Personal Injury Claim
According to Maryland Courts and Judicial Proceedings § 5-101, a personal injury claim generally must be filed within three years of the date of the accident. If you fail to take action within three years, you may be barred from recovering compensation for your damages.
Another law you should be aware of is the legal doctrine of contributory negligence. Maryland is one of four states that follows a contributory negligence law.
Negligence laws, in general, are designed to allocate damages if more than one party is responsible for causing an accident. With contributory negligence, though, if the plaintiff is at all responsible for the accident, they may be barred from recovering any amount of compensation. That means even if plaintiffs are just 1% responsible for the accident, and the defendant is 99% responsible, they may not be able to recover damages in a personal injury lawsuit.
Defense lawyers may use contributory negligence to try to get their clients off the hook for accidents. They may try to claim that a plaintiff is even 1% responsible to eliminate all financial responsibility that their client might have.
An Edgewood personal injury lawyer from the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow can defend you against underhanded tactics like these when we represent you.
Edgewood Personal Injury Attorney (410)777-8960
Types of Recoverable Damages After a Personal Injury Accident
There are many damages you may be able to recover if you succeed with your personal injury accident claim. While recoverable damages ultimately depend on the details of your case, such as the extent of your injuries and the total amount of financial losses, some common types of damages victims may recover include:
- Ambulance rides
- Doctor’s examinations
- Assistive devices, like walkers and wheelchairs
- Disfigurement or dismemberment
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning potential
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Property damage
- The overall impact that the accident has had on the victim’s life
If your loved one passed away in an accident caused by another party’s negligence, your family may be able to recover compensation for:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Wages and benefits previously provided by the deceased
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
- Any other damages specific to your case
Services We Provide Our Personal Injury Clients
The Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow will take your entire case in Edgewood off of your hands. As you recover, you’ll know that our team is:
- Investigating the circumstances of your case: Whether you suffered harm because of a car accident, medical error, slip and fall, or another incident, we will conduct a complete investigation. We will seek evidence of negligence, talk with witnesses, and obtain relevant paperwork (like the police report) to understand your situation.
- Initiating the legal process: We will devise a strategy for your case, then file paperwork to get the legal process started. Whether we file a claim or lawsuit, we want to get your case started as soon as possible.
- Exploring settlement possibilities: Settling is often the most immediate way to get a client the compensation they deserve. We will negotiate with those who owe you compensation. Our attorneys will make you aware of all settlement offers we receive and advise you on any viable deals.
- Advocating for you: A single word could compromise your financial recovery. Your attorney will serve as your advocate, protecting you from any threats to your rights. Every step we take, including protecting you, falls within a clear goal: winning your case.
If necessary, we will take your case to trial. Our hope is that going to court will not be necessary, as we’ll push for a fair insurance settlement first. At the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow, our team is prepared for any twist or turn that your case takes. We never back down from tough legal fights, and we put your financial recovery first.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Clients Have High Praise for the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow
It’s no surprise to us when clients leave positive reviews. We are dedicated to active communication and excellent client service, even providing a 24/7 text number so clients can reach us at any time. Our clients appreciate our availability and have shared:
- “Mr. Smallow represented me in a case and he kept in touch before and during the case and kept me abreast and he delivered everything he promised. Case came out great for me. I would highly recommend Adam Smallow for his expertise and persistent commitment to his clients.” – Sean, former client
- “Adam Smallow is the most professional, truthful, and caring lawyer you can ever find. He has a very pleasant character and is quite generous with his time. He spends a lot of time studying his cases and preparing his clients for the hearings. He is always available when you need him, most importantly, during emergencies. Finally, unlike most other lawyers whose fees are beyond ridiculous, Mr. Smallow is quite fair in his billing. I recommend him 100%” – Safa, former client
Our team has compiled many other reviews sharing similar sentiments. If you hire our firm for your personal injury case, you’ll receive complete dedication to your legal interests.
The Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow Is Here for You
You do not have to go through a personal injury case alone. An Edgewood personal injury lawyer from the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow can help with every aspect of your case. If the responsible party’s insurance company does not make you a fair offer, we can take your case to trial.
For a free initial consultation on your case with a member of our team, contact the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow today.