College Park Personal Injury Lawyer

At the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow, we know that personal injuries can be hard to cope with, especially if they bring on extensive financial damages. We want to help you fight for the compensation you need to recover from your losses. Call our office at (410) 877-6021 to let a College Park personal injury lawyer handle your case. With us on the job, you can focus on your recovery. Also, because we work on a contingency fee basis, you do not have to worry about paying attorney’s fees unless we win your case.

Accidents Can Happen Anywhere

On an average day, you probably do not think too much about the many potential dangers of your environment—nor should you. Everyone should be able to trust that the people around them are behaving in a sensible, careful, and legal way. Unfortunately, the reality is that some people do not consider the consequences of their actions, or they have decided that the risk to your health is worth the potential gains (e.g., saved time, increased profit, etc.). This can lead to devastating events, such as:
  • Motor vehicle accidents
  • Slip and fall accidents
  • Medical mistakes or malpractice
  • Wrongful death
The potential consequences of these accidents include physical injuries, emotional trauma, financial stress, and the loss of a loved one. If you or a loved one were injured in an accident caused by another person’s negligence, you might be entitled to collect compensatory damages. However, you only have three years from the date of your accident to file for damages, according to the Maryland Code, Courts and Judicial Proceedings § 5–101. Once those three years are up, you are no longer eligible to receive any compensation. Contact the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow as soon as you can so that we can start working on your case. You can reach us at (410) 877-6021.

Compensation Is Available

If you are considering filing a lawsuit, consult a College Park personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can provide advice and information that pertains specifically to your case. That includes information on the types of damages you might be entitled to receive. In this section, you will learn general information about compensatory damages and what factors may influence your ability to collect them.

Compensation You May Qualify For

If the accident affected your physical, mental, or emotional well-being, you might be entitled to non-economic damages. Examples of non-economic damages include:
  • Disfigurement: Your injuries left you with noticeable scarring.
  • Disability: You lost the use of a limb, sense, organ, or bodily function. This may refer to a complete loss (e.g., amputation) or loss of use caused by certain medical conditions, such as chronic pain or nerve damage.
  • Pain and suffering: You experienced physical and/or psychological trauma because of your injuries.
  • Loss of consortium: Your injuries have negatively affected your ability to maintain a healthy conjugal relationship with your spouse.
  • Reduced quality of life: You need help with or can no longer participate in activities you once took for granted (e.g., playing with your children).
Additionally, you may qualify for economic damages if your financial situation suffered because of the accident. Some examples include:
  • Medical expenses: You had to seek treatment for your injuries.
  • Repair expenses: Your car was damaged, forcing you to get it fixed or buy a new one.
  • Loss of income: Your injuries prevented you from working and earning your usual salary.

Getting Compensation

Per the American Bar Association, Maryland is one of a handful of states that can stop you from collecting damages if you contributed to the accident in any way. This is one of many reasons why it is a good idea to let a lawyer help you present your case to the liable party’s insurance company.

The Role of Legal Representation

Seeking damage awards is often a strenuous, drawn-out process. While you do not have to hire an attorney to file a lawsuit, you may feel better knowing that someone familiar with personal injury law is on your side. The Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow has over a decade of experience with personal injury cases just like yours. We can serve as your advocate and take on the challenge of:
  • Evaluating your case: The first thing our firm will do is assess your accident and tell you if you have a case. This service is available to you at no cost and no obligation.
  • Investigating your accident: We can visit the accident scene and collect all available evidence that demonstrates why the other party should be held responsible for your injuries. This may include police records, medical records, surveillance footage, and accident reconstruction analysis.
  • Defining damages: Your lawyer may help you create a complete list of your damages and even calculate how much money you may be able to recover.
  • Communicating with others: Because of Maryland’s strict laws, it is important that you do not speak with the liable party’s insurance company without a lawyer. They might use your own words against you to deny you compensation.
  • Negotiating with the insurance company: Your lawyer can meet with representatives from the insurance company to fight for every dollar you are entitled to collect.
  • Going to trial: If the insurance company refuses to meet your compensation demands, we are not afraid to go to court on your behalf. Your lawyer can put your case together and make arguments before a jury.
We understand that accidents are stressful and potentially even traumatizing. You might not feel up to managing a lawsuit on your own right now. If you want to learn more about hiring a College Park personal injury lawyer, call the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow at (410) 877-6021. Our firm will charge you no attorney’s fees unless we win your case.