If you were involved in an accident in Maryland, know that you may be eligible for compensation through a claim or lawsuit. When you reach out to a personal injury attorney in Cecil County, MD, you can learn more about your rights and the steps for taking legal action.
During a complimentary consultation, our team at the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow can review the circumstances of your case and discuss your next possible steps. Our team is ready to help you recover the funds you need to move forward with your life. We can guide you through the legal process so you never feel left in the dark.
Determining Liability for a Personal Injury Incident in Cecil County
Personal injury law covers various types of accidents and injuries. For example, it includes:
- Slip and falls on public or private property
- Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products, such as harmful drugs
- Construction accidents
Depending on the type of injury you experienced and where it happened, a wide array of parties may have contributed, potentially qualifying you for damages. To identify the liable party or parties in your claim, we will need to investigate and gather evidence that they:
- Owed you a duty of care, meaning they were expected to act in a certain way to keep you and others safe from harm
- Violated their duty of care through their actions or inaction
- Caused your accident because of their actions
- Caused you physical, financial, and/or mental damages
With evidence of each of these elements, you could recover compensation for the damages you suffered.
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Cecil County, call (410)886-6215
Recovering Compensation After an Accident in Cecil County, MD
When you are hurt in an accident, Maryland law allows you to seek compensation that addresses all the harm the accident caused you. As you accrue expenses and losses during recovery, you may seek compensation in several areas. These include:
- Medical expenses, such as surgeries, emergency care, medications, transportation, doctor’s visits, etc.
- Recovery care, including physical therapy, mental health counseling, medical equipment, and even visits to specialized clinics
- Lost income, such as all the money you lost between the accident and when you went back to work (This can include funds from self-employment, commission work, and other sources of income.)
- Lost lifetime earnings, if you can no longer maintain gainful employment because of long-term injuries (Our team will use paystubs and tax records to determine how much money you would have made throughout your career and into retirement before adding these damages to your settlement request.)
- Pain and suffering for all the physical pain you feel that affects your quality of life
After reviewing the case, our lawyers will go over the recoverable damages we identified with you and assign them appropriate values based on their worth.
Wrongful Death Damages for Fatal Accidents in Cecil County
When you lose someone to an accident because of another party’s actions, you could file a claim for wrongful death. However, only certain individuals qualify to file these claims. In Cecil County and across Maryland, you may file a claim for wrongful death if you are the deceased’s:
- Child or spouse
- Dependent parent or sibling
- Executor or administrator of their estate
Cecil County Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me (410)886-6215
Personal Injury Lawsuits are Subject to the State’s Statute of Limitations
It is important to note that Maryland only gives victims three years to file a personal injury lawsuit under Md. Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 5-101. Therefore, even as you focus on your recovery, we encourage you to reach out to our law firm sooner rather than later because it takes time to build a case.
Similarly, you only have three years to initiate a wrongful death lawsuit, per Md. Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 3-904. Our team can get started as soon as we complete an initial, complimentary review of your case.
Services from Our Personal Injury Attorneys in Cecil County, MD
Our attorneys at the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow provide clients with a range of benefits, such as:
Personal Injury Case Investigation
We will investigate your claim to ensure that our team knows all the facts. We aim to identify what happened that led to the incident and who was involved. Examples of critical evidence can include:
- Police or accident reports
- Photos and video of the scene and/or your injuries
- Witness testimony
You may have some information that can help your case, as well. You should send any information you have to your attorney as soon as possible so they can build a compelling case for your financial recovery.
Handling Negotiations and Representation in court
Our personal injury attorneys will follow through on every part of the case, fighting for the best possible outcome for you. They will prepare and file your insurance claim with the goal of negotiating hard for fair compensation. However, if it seems a settlement is unlikely or not the best option, we are prepared to take your case all the way to trial.
You never need to speak to anyone about the case other than your lawyer. In fact, you are encouraged not to speak with anyone outside your attorney about the case so long as it is pending.
Transparent, Easy Communication
Your attorney will communicate with you whenever there are changes in your case. You can easily reach them via phone or email at any time, and you may ask them for advice as the case progresses.
Our attorneys also communicate legal advice to you when they believe that you need help steering the case. This support is especially important when you are negotiating a settlement or trying the case in court.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Reach Out for a Free Consultation
Call (410) 877-6021 for a free consultation with our team if you suffered an accident covered under Maryland’s personal injury laws. You can speak to a team member at the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow to learn more about your legal rights and next steps. As you focus on your recovery in Cecil County, MD, we will seek every bit of compensation for which you are eligible as you try to get your life back on track.