When you are hurt in a truck accident, you may be eligible to recover a wide range of compensation. Having a Cecil County personal injury lawyer on your side can empower you to seek financial recovery for medical bills, pain and suffering, and other damages.
When you choose the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow, you can learn how to navigate the legal process while also receiving services that help you focus on your recovery. A free consultation awaits when you call our firm to learn more.
Determining Fault After a Truck Accident in Cecil County
Before you can file a claim for truck accident damages, you must identify the liable parties in your case. When you share your story with us, our team will investigate and determine what occurred on that day and who contributed to the collision.
Truck accident cases are unique because more than one party is generally liable. For example:
- The driver could be liable for consuming alcohol before getting behind the wheel.
- The trucking company may be liable for failing to enforce federal Hours of Service Regulations.
- The company responsible for loading the truck’s cargo could be liable for doing so improperly.
- A truck manufacturer or maintenance team may be liable for defective or incorrect parts on the vehicle.
- Government agencies serving Cecil County or the state of Maryland might have created a situation on the road that led to your accident.
In some cases, a trucking company can also be vicariously liable for its employee’s actions when an accident occurs on the job.
Either way, you are advised to focus on your recovery and never reach out to other involved parties. Anything you say could come up in court or during settlement negotiations. Our team can shield you from this risk by handling all case-related communications for you.
For legal consultation with a truck accident attorney in Cecil County, call (410)777-8960
You Could Recover Various Truck Accident Damages
Available compensation after a truck accident in Maryland can vary. Consider the following:
- Medical expenses are often a large part of accident settlements. You can share medical records and statements from doctors that explain the care you require, including surgeries, medications, counseling, physical therapy, medical equipment, and more that will facilitate your physical recovery.
- Lost income covers your lost wages during your recovery period. If you are no longer able to work, you could also seek all the money you might have earned through retirement. Our attorneys will use industry standards to track your lifetime earnings and the trajectory of your career to arrive at an accurate estimate.
- Pain and suffering damages pay you for all the physical pain you now feel because of your injuries. When this pain diminishes your quality of life, you may seek compensation.
- Emotional turmoil helps you recover compensation for the mental anguish you are feeling after the accident, including mental health conditions you have developed.
Md. Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 5-101 only gives you three years to file a personal injury lawsuit for these damages in Maryland. While going to trial is not always necessary, preserving your right to sue is essential to a successful case. When you hire our team, we will file your case before this deadline expires.
Seeking Wrongful Death Damages for a Fatal Truck Accident
When you lose someone to a truck accident, you could pursue a wrongful death case. However, it is important to understand who may file these suits in Maryland. Specifically, the courts allow the following persons to file for wrongful death-related damages:
- Direct dependents of the deceased, such as their children, spouse, dependent parents, dependent adult siblings, and possibly others
- The administrator of the deceased’s estate
When you file a claim for wrongful death, you are seeking a range of damages that include:
- Burial and funeral expenses
- Lifetime earnings for the deceased
- Loss of moral training or support
As with personal injury lawsuits, you only have three years from the date of death to file a wrongful death lawsuit under Md. Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 3-904.
Cecil County Truck Accident Attorney (410)777-8960
Services Our Truck Accident Attorneys Provide in Maryland
Retaining an attorney for your truck accident case in Cecil County can give you peace of mind, knowing that someone who understands the legal system is advocating for you. You also receive all the following services:
We Thoroughly Investigate the Accident
Your lawyer will thoroughly investigate the accident to prove your right to financial recovery. It is vital to focus on your recovery and give our team time to determine what occurred at the time of the accident and value the damages you suffered.
We will also share with you any information we uncover during the investigation. If you find additional information or learn something your lawyer should know, you can reach out to our firm immediately.
We Speak On Your Behalf
We will speak to other lawyers, the court, interested parties, and so on for you. You are not required to negotiate a settlement on your own, and we will argue your case in Cecil County court. Our goal with this approach is to protect your best interests.
We Advocate for You in and out of the Courtroom
Our firm will represent you until the case resolves. This means we will file a claim with the liable party’s insurance company and fight hard for a fair settlement, but we are not afraid to take the case to trial. We will work with you to determine the best possible path for your claim and see it through to the end.
We Treat You as an Individual
We recognize that our clients are individuals with specific needs. We can take these needs into account while we support you through the duration of your case. When you work with us, you’ll be more than just a case number. We will:
- Maintain consistent communications: There’s nothing worse than having unanswered legal questions. At the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow, we’re committed to putting your burning questions to bed. We provide our clients with a unique 24/7 text helpline. This way, you won’t ever be left in the dark about your case’s progression.
- Schedule your doctor’s appointments: After an accident, we can set you up with a medical team that can support you throughout your recovery. We can work together with this team to ensure that your injuries are properly documented.
What Should I Do After a Truck Accident in Cecil County, MD?
The aftermath of a truck accident can be confusing and frightening. We recommend that you:
Visit a Healthcare Provider and Obtain a Diagnosis
Before worrying about the status of your case, it’s important that you seek medical attention. Truck accidents can cause a range of serious medical conditions, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Organ failure
Many of these conditions don’t present until days or weeks after the accident. By seeing a medical provider, you’ll accomplish two goals. First, you can catch an injury early and initiate treatment as soon as possible. Second, you can use the medical records that an appointment generates as evidence in your case.
Preserve Evidence and Consider Your Legal Options
Other considerations aside from seeking medical care after your collision include:
- Requesting a copy of the accident report and reviewing it for accuracy
- Preserving as much evidence as possible, such as photos of your car
- Leaving communications with the insurer to your lawyer
- Consider partnering with our law firm
At the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow, we can handle the aftermath of a truck accident. We can seek important evidence and secure a police report. We hope to make your recovery as simple as possible.
Leave All Insurance-Related Matters to Your Legal Team
Insurance claims are more common than lawsuits after motor vehicle accidents. This is largely due to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) guidelines. The FMSCA requires that truckers carry a specific minimum of third-party liability insurance that will kick in after an accident. For this reason, you may find yourself communicating with the at-fault party’s insurer.
Dealing with insurers is tricky. They may try to strong-arm you into a low-value settlement. They may also suggest that you are partially at fault for your accident, which could damage the value of your settlement. Other methods include requesting a recorded statement and using the information you provide to disregard your case.
Our advice? Don’t manage the claims process without legal aid. Our lawyers serving Cecil County can handle this portion of your case. We can:
- Speak with insurers, so you don’t have to
- Advise on what you should or shouldn’t say during insurance negotiations
- Push for the best insurance settlement possible
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call for a Free Consultation With Our Truck Accident Team
When you are hurt in a Cecil County truck accident, you can call our firm for a free consultation. After you retain a truck accident lawyer from the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow, you can focus on your recovery while we work to obtain the compensation you seek.
You don’t have to worry about affording these legal services, as we operate on a no-win, no-fee basis. Reach out today to learn more.