If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a car accident involving a Lyft rideshare driver in Joppatowne, Maryland, you can file a personal injury claim against them. You could potentially recover your damages, ranging from medical bills to income loss. However, cases involving Lyft drivers can pose complications, especially when it comes to determining liability.
When you’re unsure about your legal rights, you can work with a Joppatowne Lyft accident lawyer from the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow. Our legal team dedicates the time to investigate your case, prepare it thoroughly, and advocate for your legal rights. We offer the first consultation for free to go over your legal options, then discuss how we can pursue financial compensation on your behalf.
Who Is Liable to Cover Damages in a Lyft Accident?
Liability in rideshare vehicle accidents follows laws about transportation network companies (TNCs), which includes rideshare app companies like Lyft and Uber. These laws acknowledge that because Lyft drivers use their personal vehicles while working, liability can shift based on whether they’re using their vehicles for personal or commercial use.
The following briefly explains when Lyft provides insurance coverage for accidents involving one of its drivers.
Lyft’s Insurance Policy Determines Coverage Based on App Use
Per Lyft’s insurance coverage policy, the company will determine coverage based on whether the Lyft driver was actively using the rideshare app. In short:
- If the driver was not logged into the app: The Lyft driver’s personal auto insurance would apply to the accident, meaning they would be held liable for damages they caused.
- If the driver was logged into the app and waiting for ride requests: Lyft would provide insurance coverage if the Lyft driver’s personal insurance does not apply.
- If the driver was logged into the app and actively en route to pick up a passenger or transport them: Lyft would provide insurance coverage and potentially be held liable for damages caused in the accident.
When you work with a Joppatowne Lyft accident lawyer from the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow, we would review all relevant insurance policies to see how much coverage you may be entitled to claim. If a personal injury lawsuit seems necessary to pursue sufficient compensation for your damages, we will also advise you on how to move forward with your case in that regard.
For legal consultation with a lyft accident attorney in Joppatowne, call (410)777-8960
You May Qualify to Receive Compensation from Lyft for Your Damages
If you were injured in a Lyft rideshare accident in Joppatowne, Maryland, you may qualify to pursue the following types of damages:
- Medical treatment expenses
- Pain and suffering and inconvenience
- Reduced earning potential
- Current and future loss of wages
- Emotional distress
- Permanent disability or physical disfigurement
- Loss of consortium
- Property damage costs, such as vehicle repair costs if you were in another vehicle
- Alternative transportation costs
There may be other damages that apply to your case, financially or otherwise, so our team will discuss how your life has been personally affected by the accident in future consultations. We’ll calculate how much compensation to demand based on those damages.
What Happens if the Accident Victim Passes Away?
If you lost a loved one in a vehicle accident involving a Lyft driver, our team understands that can be emotionally overwhelming to process. However, it doesn’t mean you’ve lost your opportunity to recover damages. In many cases, surviving families can file wrongful death actions to demand compensation for practical damages, such as funeral expenses and loss of financial support, as well as emotional damages caused by their sudden grief.
Our team will work hard to fight for your right to receive compensation and offer legal counsel when you would like guidance on case decisions.
Joppatowne Lyft Accident Attorney (410)777-8960
Our Legal Team Can Build and Manage Your Case on Your Behalf
Our legal team at the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow has over 10 years of experience handling various personal injury cases. We dedicate our efforts to advocating for accident victims like you because we understand how deeply collision injuries can affect people’s lives. When you work with a personal injury attorney from our firm, you don’t just get legal representation but an entire team that cares about your well-being.
Some of our legal services include:
- Investigating your Lyft accident to identify the liable party, collect evidence, and confirm facts surrounding your case
- Referring you to highly qualified medical providers in our network of contacts and collecting testimony and other evidence to support your case from them
- Handling communications with all involved parties on your behalf so that your case remains protected
- Staying up-to-date on legal paperwork and informing you about new case developments
- Attending legal appearances to advocate for your rights and negotiate a settlement deal when possible
- Preparing your case for trial if necessary
Our legal team will also be available for contact 24/7 by phone or email. We give our clients a unique text number that they can use to access our firm when they have questions or concerns about their case.
Act Fast So That You Don’t Miss Your Lyft Accident Case’s Filing Deadline in Maryland
Maryland has a three-year filing window for personal injury cases, as written in Md. Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 5-101. This means that you have about three years from the date of the Lyft rideshare vehicle accident in Joppatowne to file a personal injury lawsuit in Maryland. You must submit your case within this window, as failure to do so could have your case dismissed by the reviewing judge.
Wrongful death cases also have a three-year filing window, as written in Md. Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 3-904, but this date starts on the date of the cause of death, which can vary by case. Our legal team will identify your case’s statutory deadline, then take appropriate measures to ensure it remains valid within the civil court system.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow Today for a Free Lyft Accident Case Review
If you or a loved one was injured in a vehicle accident involving a Lyft driver, you may have grounds to sue for damages from the at-fault driver, the rideshare company, or another party that contributed to the accident. Our legal team at the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow can investigate your case to determine which party or parties may be held liable for your damages, then construct your case argument against them.
We offer the first consultation for free to discuss how a Joppatowne Lyft accident lawyer from our firm can help you. During this discussion, we’ll also go over our fee agreement and tell you about how you can get in contact with us should you have questions later. Start your legal journey with our team today.