According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), over 36,000 people were killed in traffic accidents on U.S. roadways in 2018. However, this figure only tells part of the story. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the economic losses associated with traffic deaths and injuries were over $75 billion in 2017.
In aggregate, these figures are highly alarming, but on an individual or family level, car accidents are catastrophic and devastating. Injuries sustained in an accident, even if minor, can lead to substantial care costs, as well as serious and permanent injuries. If you or a loved one suffered a vehicle accident, a Joppatowne car accident lawyer with the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow may be able to assist you with a claim for damages. Please contact us at (410) 777-8960 to learn more.
Causes of Car Accidents
A car accident can happen to anyone, at any time, anywhere. By far, the most common cause of car accidents today is distracted driving. Interacting with other passengers, texting while driving, eating, applying makeup, and adjusting vehicle or device controls while driving are all forms of distraction.
They can take drivers’ eyes off the road and prevent them from noticing changing road conditions or warning signs of hazards. Other common causes of car accidents include:
- Fatigue. Driving while tired, drowsy, or fatigued can lead to an accident. Even an otherwise alert driver may become drowsy on a long, quiet stretch of the road and have an accident.
- Driving under the influence. Driving while drunk or under the influence of drugs can slow a driver’s response times and reduce his or her inhibitions, leading to risky or aggressive driving.
- Speeding and reckless driving. This can include driving over the speed limit, running a red light, ignoring a stop sign, driving the wrong way, and executing incorrect turns or lane changes.
- Poor driving conditions. Driving in rain, snow, poor lighting, or inclement weather conditions can raise the risks of having an accident.
- Road damage or defective vehicle parts. Potholes and uneven or slippery surfaces can lead to an accident, as can wear and tear damage to the tires, brakes, and undercarriage, which are important for safe driving.
Based on the factors involved, our Joppatowne car accident lawyer can help you determine the kinds of accidents that may be compensable for damages and losses. Call the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow at (410) 777-8960 to get started.
For legal consultation with a car accident attorney in Joppatowne, call (410)777-8960
Car Accident Damages
Car accidents can cause a considerable amount of property damage, including vehicle damage, roadside damage, and damage to objects inside the vehicles at the time of the crash. These damages represent real costs that victims will have to deal with, in addition to the cost of their injuries. Injuries commonly seen in car accident cases include:
- Head and brain injuries.
- Spinal cord and back injuries.
- Neck injuries and whiplash.
- Nerve, soft tissue, muscle, and ligament damage.
- Internal organ damage.
- Lacerations and scarring.
- Broken bones.
You have the right to seek compensation for damages and losses inflicted on you because of the illegal actions or negligence of another party. A lawyer can guide you in this process and discuss your rights and responsibilities with you.
Joppatowne Car Accident Attorney (410)777-8960
Winning a car accident injury claim usually involves identifying the at-fault party and proving they owed you a certain level of duty of care. Then, you must prove they breached this duty of care through their actions or neglect, and that this led to the accident and your subsequent injuries. To receive compensation, you will also likely need to quantify your losses.
Several parties may be involved in—and responsible for—your losses after a car accident. Consider the following scenarios:
- A local municipality did not perform important road repairs, and road damage contributed to your accident.
- A maintenance team performed certain repairs or services–either on a road or to a vehicle–but did so incompetently and you suffered an accident as a result.
- A truck driver, a trucking company, or a truck service crew did not inspect or maintain a truck and it caused an accident while in operation.
- A driver was texting while driving and collided with another vehicle, a stationary object, or pedestrians.
- A driver was under the influence of alcohol or otherwise willfully reckless while driving.
For each of these cases, a different party—whether a truck driver, a trucking company, a service team, another driver, or even a government office—may share some of the blame for your accident.
Depending on the specifics of your case, a lawyer will seek evidence in support of your claim. This may take the form of police reports, dashcam or CCTV footage, eyewitness statements, mobile device use, and photographic evidence from the scene to prove the fault of the party responsible for your accident.
Some of the damages that you may be able to seek compensation for after a car accident include:
- Vehicle damage.
- Property damage.
- Medical care and treatment bills.
- Medicine and therapy costs.
- Assistive device costs.
- Incidental costs, such as caretaking expenses.
- Lost income up to certain limits.
- Noneconomic damages for pain and suffering.
For some of these damages, especially those related to medical treatment and care, the testimony of a medical professional may be required before you can file a claim for personal injuries.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Let Us Help You
A Joppatowne car accident lawyer from Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow is here to help. Call today at (410) 777-8960 to speak with a member of our team. There is no reason you should suffer the financial losses associated with your accident if it was caused by someone else’s negligence.
Contact us today for a consultation, and to determine which damages and losses that may qualify you for compensation.