If you lost a family member in a vehicle accident in Ellicott City, MD, a fatal car accident lawyer from our firm is available to help.
When a person perishes in a car accident, it can be devastating for the remaining family members. If you depended on your loved one for financial support, you may be struggling to make ends meet. Perhaps their emotional support or guidance was an invaluable asset. Our fatal car accident team will fight for your family to be able to move forward financially and emotionally.
Your Family Deserves Compensation
Losing a family member can leave a family devastated with grief and financial hardship. If another person or company caused your loved one’s accident, your family should not have to bear that burden alone.
We can help you recover compensation for some of the following losses:
- Your loved one’s financial support
- Your loved one’s companionship, guidance, and support
- Your loved one’s marital or parental support
- Pain and suffering
Our team can evaluate which damages you may be eligible to claim for your wrongful death case.
Cases You May Be Able to File
Under Maryland law, per Md. Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 3-904, surviving family members have the right to seek compensation for their loved one’s passing. The two classifications for this type of lawsuit include a wrongful death case and a survival action. A family may file one or both, depending on the circumstances of the death.
Wrongful death cases are usually filed by the surviving family members of the loved one who passed away. They may be eligible to recover compensation for their own suffering and the loss of their loved one’s financial support. Generally, dependent family members are given priority to recover compensation. Your lawyer can help you determine who may be eligible to file.
Survival actions are filed through the estate. This claim is brought on behalf of the person who passed away by the estate’s representative (known as the executor). In a survival action, the compensation is based on the suffering and expenses of the loved one, not the family.
For legal consultation with a fatal car accident attorney in Ellicott City, call (410)777-8960
What Does a Law Firm Do?
Our fatal car accident team aims to take the burden of legal action off of the family members or executor. We handle the legal aspects while you focus on your priorities. Here are some of the services we offer to our clients:
- Striving to improve your day-to-day life with our quality of care
- Conducting a complete investigation of the accident
- Determining the liable parties to pursue them for compensation
- Consulting with experts to build a solid case
- Communicating with legal representatives of the at-fault party
- Keeping you all updated on the status of your case
- Using our experience and resources to fight for favorable results
- Counseling you on accepting or rejecting settlement offers
- Negotiating for more appropriate compensation from the insurer
- Meeting the legal requirements and deadlines for your case
You don’t have to face this process and the burden it carries without support. We hope to provide you with what you need to navigate this process by taking the majority of the burden onto ourselves.
Our Firm Gets Results for Victims of Car Accidents
When you choose a firm to represent your family, you’ll want to go with a team that has demonstrated success in cases like yours. We’re proud to show how we’ve met the needs of clients like you with our testimonials. Here’s what a few of our clients have said about working with us:
- “The professionalism and service I’ve received from Adam Smallow has exceeded my expectations…Adam has been personally involved and took care of everything I requested, on the very same day.” – Joe Bakhtar
- “Adam Smallow is the most professional, truthful, and caring lawyer you can ever find…He is always available when you need him, most importantly, during emergencies.” – Safa
- “Adam was extremely easy to get a hold of even before I was a client. He kept communication open and made sure I was aware of everything involved.” – Carlo
We hope you’ll allow us to take the lead on your case. We aim to provide high-quality services that will allow you peace of mind during the legal process.
Ellicott City Fatal Car Accident Attorney (410)777-8960
Proving Liability in Wrongful Death Cases
When a car accident results in a fatality, it can be tried in civil court as a wrongful death– if the responsible party’s negligent behavior resulted in the collision. Proving negligence in this instance requires that we demonstrate these four elements:
- Duty of care. The responsible party had a duty of care to drive safely and cautiously in order to protect others on the road.
- Breach of duty. The responsible party committed a traffic violation or acted negligently in some other way.
- Causation. The action or inaction of the responsible party resulted in the collision.
- Damages. The collision resulted in the loss of your loved one, your suffering, and other losses.
Demonstrating these four elements will show that the cause of the accident was the negligent behavior of the responsible party. As a result, they will be held liable for your losses.
Understanding the Filing Deadlines and Getting Help for Your Family
The statute of limitations for a wrongful death case is three years, beginning on the date of your loved one’s passing. This can seem like an extended period, but it goes quickly as you grieve your loss. Discussing your claim with an attorney shortly after the accident can be beneficial. There may also be exceptions that shorten or lengthen this time period, depending on your situation. Your attorney can help interpret the statute of limitations for your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Secure your Ellicott City, MD Fatal Car Accident Lawyer for Help With Your Case
An Ellicott City, MD, fatal car accident lawyer from the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow can guide your family during this transition period. Contact our team to find out your options.