A car accident can change your life in a matter of seconds. The Chestertown car accident lawyers with the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow are here to manage your case so that you can focus on your recovery. After a car accident, you may be vulnerable to insurance companies and other parties attempting to offer a settlement out of court, but these settlements are usually not enough to compensate you for the trauma and costs of a car accident.
A car accident can cause serious injury and may incur costly medical bills, lost wages, damage to property, and pain and suffering due to the negligence of another driver. Our personal injury attorneys are ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident due to the negligence of another driver, contact the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow today for a free consultation at (410) 777-8960 .
Car Accident Laws in Maryland
Maryland is an at-fault state, meaning that bodily injury and property damage caused in a car accident is the responsibility of the negligent parties involved. They are legally obligated to compensate you for these damages.
The types of negligent behavior in car accidents may include:
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Aggressive driving
- Fatigue or drowsy driving
- Distracted driving
The negligent parties in a car accident are not limited to single drivers. Other parties that may be at fault may also include but are not limited to:
- Commercial trucks
- Business owners
- Ridesharing service drivers, such as Uber or Lyft – hire a Chestertown rideshare accident lawyer to take care of everything necessary for the successful resolution of your case.
- Government entities
This means that the company or organization that owns the vehicle or employs the driver at-fault can be responsible for your injuries and damages.
From the Maryland Insurance Administration, the state requires all owners of registered vehicles to purchase and maintain insurance that provides a minimum of $30,000 per person and $60,000 per accident in bodily injury and an additional $15,000 for any property damage. Plus, you must also carry uninsured motorist coverage in equal values. If the injuries and property damage sustained exceed the amount covered by the defendant’s insurance, the defendant will be personally responsible for providing compensation for damages.
Per Maryland Courts and Judicial Proceedings §5-101, the state’s statute of limitations for plaintiffs to file for a lawsuit in the event of a car accident is three years from the date of the accident. After three years, the plaintiff loses the right to file against the negligent party. The sooner you can file, the sooner our attorneys can begin to work on your case.
Call the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow today for a free consultation at (410) 777-8960
. If you qualify, our Chestertown car accident lawyers may be able to help you pursue compensation for your losses.
For legal consultation with a car accident attorney in Chestertown, call (410)777-8960
Types of Car Accident Injuries
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the average cost of a crash-related visit to an emergency department is $3,300, and the lifetime average amount of hospitalization costs can amount to $57,000. Injuries caused by car accidents can range from minor to debilitating, some causing victims to be afflicted with life-long disabilities. Some common types of injuries caused by car accidents may include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): these injuries can be incredibly dangerous if the brain is damaged in an accident. Brain injuries can range from non-life-threatening conditions such as whiplash or bruising to major injuries such as brain damage. However, even minor head injuries such as a concussion can be fatal if not treated properly.
- Back injuries: some of the most common injuries in car accidents, especially rear-end collisions, a back injury can cause chronic pain that requires long-term medical treatment, and in more serious cases, can cause permanent paralysis if there is damage to the nerves.
- Chest injuries: a front-seat passenger is vulnerable to chest injuries that include damage to internal organs, broken ribs, and bruising. They can be caused by an impact with the steering wheel, seat belt, or airbags.
- Lacerations: superficial injuries such as lacerations are usually minor but can become major injuries if they result in the victim bleeding out or contracting an infection. Lacerations may require stitches or even blood transfusions.
- Limb injuries: broken bones can be caused by impact with parts of the car, including the seats, steering wheel, airbag, and seat belt. Limb injuries can range from minor strains to major injuries, such as shattered bones or compound fractures. In some rare circumstances, amputations may be necessary if injuries are too severe to be treated.
Chestertown Car Accident Attorney (410)777-8960
There are a number of losses you may pursue compensation for. They include:
- Property damage: separate from an injury claim, this covers repairs and replacement of your registered vehicle.
- Lost wages: if you are unable to work while you recover, you may be able to receive compensation for current and possible future wages. This also includes any diminished earnings you may have lost due to permanent injuries. Family members of deceased victims may also be entitled to compensation in wrongful death cases.
- Medical expenses: any bills from doctor’s visits, surgeries, and therapies may also be pursued. The defendant’s insurance company is responsible for paying both past and future medical expenses for injuries caused by the accident.
- Pain and suffering: though more difficult to quantify, pain and suffering includes the physical pain due to bodily injuries as well as the effects on your mental health, such as trauma, anxiety, and depression.
How Our Chestertown Car Accident Lawyers Can Help You
The Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow can help you navigate the complicated process of filing a claim or lawsuit; especially if you are recovering from an injury. The benefits of working with our team include:
- Providing guidance and exploring all available legal options and strategies
- Protecting your right to compensation, including medical care that is necessary for you to recover
- Investigating your case by collecting and compiling evidence. This evidence may include surveillance footage, dashcam footage, photos of injuries or property damage, police reports, and medical reports
- Managing communications and paperwork for insurance companies and other associated parties
- Taking the negligent party to trial if there cannot be a successful negotiation outside of court
At the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow, we understand the devastating effects that a car accident can have on the life of you or a loved one. Car accidents are unexpected, time-consuming, stressful, and can be traumatic or fatal. Do not let insurance companies take advantage of you by offering a settlement that may not even come close to compensating you for the injuries and damages you have sustained due to another person’s negligence. We will fight for your right to fair compensation. Call us today for a free consultation at (410) 777-8960 .