Your motorcycle accident could entitle you to compensatory damages. You can use this money in a number of ways, including to support your family if you are not able to work.
A Chestertown motorcycle accident lawyer can help you file a claim against the liable party and fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow as soon as possible to start the process.
You Have The Right To Seek Compensation
To take advantage of your right to sue for damages, you must start your case within three years of your injury. This is the statute of limitations, according to Md. Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 5-101. For this reason, after seeking medical attention, getting legal help is the first thing you should consider in the wake of a motorcycle accident.
So, what happens if you miss the filing deadline when trying to handle your claim by yourself? You will know that the statute of limitations has expired because the insurance company will stop negotiating with you. Now, the settlement that you thought was nearly within your grasp is never going to happen. The insurer does not have to pay you any money for your injuries.
By contacting our team, we can file your case within the applicable deadline. This would preserve your right to seek damages through litigation.
For legal consultation with a motorcycle accident attorney in Chestertown, call (410)777-8960
What You Should Know About Seeking Damages After A Chestertown Collision
Recovering damages is one of the many things at the forefront of your mind. Here are some things we want to share about the claims process:
We Will Calculate Your Damages
In order to sue, you must figure out:
- Which types of injuries you suffered
- How many of those injuries are considered compensable under the law
- How much money each of your damages entitles you to
- Whether there are any state laws that affect your ability to collect damages
The more precise you can be when supplying this information, the better. Your motorcycle accident lawyer from our firm would be happy to go over your case, create a list of all of your damages, and determine what a fair settlement may be.
You Can Seek Non-Economic Damages
Your physical and psychological suffering could entitle you to non-economic damages. These include things like:
- Disfigurement, if your accident-related scars have impacted your physical appearance or abilities
- Disability, if your accident is responsible for your physical or intellectual disability or for making an existing disability worse
- Reduced quality of life, if you need help accomplishing everyday tasks (e.g., preparing meals) and can no longer live independently
- Loss of consortium, if your marriage has suffered in any way due to the accident
- Pain and suffering, if your physical or psychological health suffered in any way due to the accident
You Can Recover Economic Damages
Your financial losses could entitle you to economic damages. These include things like:
- Loss of income, if you were temporarily unable to work because of your injuries
- Loss of employment, if you are permanently unable to work
- Medical bills, if your injuries required treatment or will require treatment in the future
- Repair bills, if your motorcycle was damaged badly enough that you had to get it fixed or replaced
Grieving Families Can Seek Wrongful Death-Related Damages
The statute of limitations for wrongful death lawsuits is the same as it is for personal injury suits: three years, as codified in Md. Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 3-904.
If you lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident, our firm is deeply sorry for your loss. You may be eligible for other non-economic and economic damages in addition to those listed above. We realize that no amount of money can make the loss of your loved one go away, but compensation can help with the financial hardships. We offer more information on how we can help in a complimentary consultation.
Chestertown Motorcycle Accident Attorney (410)777-8960
You Deserve A Law Firm That Treats You Like Family
We bend over backward to get the best possible outcome for our clients, and we treat them with respect and compassion from the very beginning. Our testimonials reflect our commitment to injured people:
“I would highly recommend them to anyone that wants a lawyer and team that works very hard for you and is very understanding! Thank you Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow!” ––Vernon F.
“Adam does a great job of coordinating with all parties involved in the case including healthcare professionals to make sure his clients have a seamless experience. If you have an injury, you’ll want this team in your corner!” –– J.H.
We are humbled by these and many other five-star Google reviews from our clients.
If you are looking for a law firm that treats you this well, look no further. You found us.
Click to contact our Chestertown Personal Injury Attorneys today
Our Team Wants To Represent You
Our clients know that the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow is dedicated to providing professional, responsive service. One of them described us as “credible, honest, extremely hard-working, and knowledgeable.” We strive to make every client’s legal experience as smooth as possible by:
- Being available: You can email us with questions, or you can get in touch via text message 24/7.
- Identifying the liable party: Is the other driver the sole liable party, or does another party share responsibility for your accident? We can investigate and find out.
- Quantifying your damages: It is not always easy to put a “price” on physical pain and psychological distress. Let us figure out how much compensation you should ask for.
- Handling all paperwork: This includes sending out forms and notifications and requesting documentary evidence, like police reports.
- Pursuing compensation: If we can negotiate with the insurance company for a satisfactory settlement, we will do so. However, we are not afraid to go to court if that is the only way to get you your money.
- Making sure you get medical help: In addition to our legal services, we can help you get the medical care you need. The doctors we recommend to our clients are the same doctors we would recommend to friends and family.
- Working for a contingency fee: You owe us no attorney’s fees until you recover compensation for your injuries. If we cannot recover compensation for you, then you do not have to pay us.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Considerations After Your Motorcycle Accident In Chestertown
You might have an “open and shut” case against the party who caused the motorcycle accident. Yet, you might be surprised to learn that even a small misstep on your part could hurt your case.
The insurance company will be looking for any excuse to pay you as little money as possible or even deny coverage for your losses. We recommend that you:
Refuse To Give A Recorded Statement
The insurance company’s claims adjuster will likely ask you to give a recorded statement, in which they ask you a lot of questions and record what you say. Then, they’ll transcribe the recording and look for information to discredit your case.
Even the smallest comment can discredit your right to damages. We advise our clients not to give recorded statements to insurance companies. Instead, we can provide all the information needed and handle all communications.
Think Twice Before Accepting A Settlement Offer
Many people assume that, after an accident, the insurer adds up their damages and offers fair compensation. However, this isn’t necessarily the case. Insurance companies are businesses that want to make money selling policies––not paying claims.
You should think twice before accepting an offer from the insurer, because it may not reflect your damages’ cost. Your motorcycle accident lawyer from our firm will determine what constitutes a fair settlement and advocate for that amount. If you hastily accept a settlement offer, you cannot get more money later, even if your condition takes a turn for the worse.
Seek Treatment From A Healthcare Provider
It’s no secret that medical attention is expensive. You may skip seeing a doctor because of concerns about cost. Yet, this could have many adverse effects. For instance, your condition may worsen without proper treatment. The insurer may also contest your injuries’ severity if you don’t have documentation.
We can include your medical care costs in your case’s value. You don’t have to worry about medical bills jeopardizing your financial security. The liable party should pay for what you need.
We Can Look For Evidence To Strengthen Your Case
Our primary job is to prove to the insurance company or a jury that the liable party is responsible for your injuries and therefore owes you damages. We can do this by collecting evidence from a variety of credible sources. Depending on the specifics of your accident, those sources could include:
- The police report: We can request a copy of the official accident report, which will provide crucial data pertaining to the crash. You will not have to do the legwork of chasing down a copy of the police report.
- Your medical records: These documents can show that your injuries were the result of the accident, and you needed treatment for those injuries. All that you need to do is sign a medical records authorization, and we will get these essential files.
- Witness testimony: This may include statements both from eyewitnesses, who actually saw the accident happen, and from expert witnesses, who can speak to your inability to work or the recklessness of the liable party’s actions. We will look for witnesses and talk to them as a part of our investigation.
- Video footage: This could include security video, photos or recordings taken by witnesses, or photos or recordings taken by you.
If you have or know about evidence that may help your case, please let us know. Otherwise, searching for evidence is our job. As with all other aspects of your case, you can leave it to us and focus on recovering from your accident.
Reach Out To Us For A Free Case Assessment Today
If you are looking to hire a motorcycle accident lawyer who serves Chestertown, the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow can help. Get started by contacting our office for a free case review. Members of our team are standing by to speak with you all day, every day.
Call or text (410)777-8960 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form