Collisions are one of the most common causes of injuries in the United States. If a car accident due to another driver’s negligent actions caused your injuries, you have the right to seek damages. Filing a personal injury claim or lawsuit may entail gathering enough evidence to prove fault, calculating your total costs and losses, and negotiating a fair settlement or award.
When you are considering opening a car accident case, you will need to keep Maryland’s personal injury laws in mind. A Bel Air personal injury lawyer can help you navigate all these factors and fight for compensation. The Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow is ready to advocate for you.
COMMON CAUSES OF CAR ACCIDENTS IN MARYLAND
As with any state, a variety of negligent driving behaviors cause thousands of accidents every year. Some commonly cited causes of these accidents include distracted, aggressive, and impaired driving, though many actions can fall into these categories.
For instance, examples of aggressive driving behaviors can include:
- Weaving in and out of congested traffic
- Cutting off another driver
- Failing to signal when turning or changing lanes
- Running a red light
Distracted driving also comes in many forms, though texting and driving is a common offense. Eating, talking to other passengers, and adjusting the GPS or radio can also distract a driver. While these behaviors may seem harmless on their own, the Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) reports that distracted driving causes an average of 26,000 injuries annually in Maryland alone.
Impaired driving includes behaviors such as driving while under the influence of alcohol, as well as illegal drugs. Annually, the MDOT reports that these collisions cause more than 3,200 injuries a year.
For legal consultation with a car accident attorney in Bel Air, call (410)777-8960
PREPARING YOUR BEL AIR CAR ACCIDENT CASE
You may want to take extra care when preparing your personal injury claim. This means collecting enough evidence to prove that the other driver is at fault for your injuries. Evidence that may help support your case include:
- Surveillance and traffic camera footage
- Information from the police report
- Witness statements
- Medical records regarding your injuries
While it is possible to collect this evidence yourself, hiring an attorney can take these burdens off you. He or she can dedicate time to contact the witnesses and experts, examine reports, and build your case while you handle your medical and financial concerns.
MARYLAND CAR ACCIDENT FILING DEADLINE
In Maryland, the statute of limitations can affect your ability to receive compensation after suffering injuries in a car accident. The time you may spend negotiating with the insurance company if you attempt to settle out of court does not extend this deadline. If you choose to hire a Bel Air car accident lawyer, part of his or her responsibility is to keep you aware of this deadline.
WE WANT TO RECOVER COMPENSATION FOR YOUR LOSSES IN BEL AIR
Depending on the severity of your accident and injuries, you may qualify for multiple types of compensation. Your award may include both monetary and non-monetary damages relating to your injuries and vehicle repairs. To receive compensation, you typically need to present evidence of these damages in the form of receipts, bills, and medical records. These can serve as proof of your treatment and vehicle repair costs.
You may also include pay stubs and letters from your job as proof of how your injuries have affected your ability to work. With all these items as evidence, an attorney can help you calculate your claim’s total value. In car accident cases, you may be able to pursue damages such as:
- Current and future lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Doctor and hospital visits
- Treatment, medications, and ongoing physical therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Vehicle repair or replacement
Bel Air Car Accident Attorney (410)777-8960
WHY PARTNER WITH A CAR ACCIDENT LAWYER IN BEL AIR FROM OUR TEAM?
Our team can handle every aspect of your case. We’ll gather evidence, negotiate with insurers, and help put your life back together. We offer more than legal support; we offer compassionate support.
When you work with the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow, you can:
- Breathe a sigh of relief: You can rest easy knowing we’re advocating for you. A legal professional is on your case. You don’t have to worry about any of your legal matters with us on your side.
- Receive legal advice: We offer a unique 24/7 helpline to our customers. You can message us at any time with your questions or concerns.
- Take advantage of our medical network: Our firm works with a vast network of qualified doctors––the same we entrust with our loved ones. We’ll draw on this network on your behalf, so you can receive quality care for your injuries.
WE WILL ASSIGN LIABILITY FOR YOUR LOSSES
Using supporting evidence, we can assert:
Duty of care: Breach of their duty: Causation: Measurable damages: physical injuries or other quantifiable losse
By proving each of these elements, we can pursue compensation for your losses. We can also contest the other party’s accusations that you caused the accident.
WE WILL NEGOTIATE WITH THE LIABLE INSURER
Insurance companies aren’t always on your side. In many cases, they’ll prioritize their bottom line over your recovery. We’ll go toe-to-toe with insurers on your behalf. We can identify low settlement offers and communicate with the involved parties for you.
HONEST MISTAKES THAT COULD COST YOU
We want you to collect all the compensation that you deserve for the harm you have suffered. Here are a few pitfalls you will want to avoid after your Bel Air car accident.
Sharing on Social Media About the Accident or Your Injuries
Many people stay in contact with their friends and relatives by posting photos and comments on social media. In addition, sustaining injuries in a car crash qualifies as a huge event that you would share with the people you care about to keep them informed about your life. Unfortunately, no matter how you structure your privacy settings on your social media account, the insurer will likely gain access to your content.
How could your social media posts backfire on you and decrease the compensation you might receive?
- Photographs from the accident scene might give the insurer information they could use to deny your claim or blame you for the collision.
- Pictures of your injuries could be inaccurate because of the angle, photo quality, or other technical issues. In addition, the photos might make your wounds look less severe than they were or show injuries that have already partly healed.
- Ranting about the other driver, the officer who responded to the crash, or anything else might portray you in an unflattering light to a jury.
- Even innocent photos of you having fun weeks later could serve as evidence for the insurance company arguing that your pain is not as bad as you allege in your injury claim.
Therefore, we advise our car accident clients to take a complete break from social media until their cases resolve.
Settling Your Injury Claim Before Completing Your Prescribed Medical Procedures
At some point, you could tire of undergoing painful medical procedures like surgeries or physical therapy. As a result, you might want to take a break from your health care treatments. We understand how your feel, but you need to know the risks of this decision.
The at-fault party might argue that they should not have to pay the expected damages for your current physical condition. Instead, they could claim that you could have healed further if you’d completed all the treatment your doctor recommended. As a result, they’ll argue against paying for any functional impairment you might have from your injuries.
Not Realizing That You Can’t Go Back and Ask for More Money After You Settle
If you decide to settle your claim before completing your medical procedures, you might get another unpleasant surprise. Your doctor might inform you that you will not heal completely without an additional medical intervention like another surgery. However, once you’ve settled, the insurance company will not pay those medical bills or your lost wages from the surgery.
In addition, you might eventually complete your treatment plan, only to learn you will never heal completely. Instead, the crash has left you with permanent limitations. Again, the insurer would have had to pay you for this disability, but it will not do so if you have already settled your claim. So, remember the waiver and release you sign when you receive the settlement check prevent you from filing future claims against them.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
OUR CLIENTS SHARE POSITIVE FEEDBACK WITH US
Many of our previous clients are happy they chose the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow. Some have shared:
- “The professionalism and service I’ve received from Adam Smallow has exceeded my expectations. He is very bright, listens well and answer all my questions.” – Joe B.
- “Mr. Adam Smallow represented me in an accident case where I was hit in the back while sitting at a light. He is a great attorney and kept me abreast of what was going on with my case.” – Connie H.
HOW MUCH DO CAR ACCIDENT LAWYERS COST?
The list of expenses after a car accident can seem endless. Vehicle repairs, medical expenses, and other hidden costs are relentless. We won’t add to this list of financial worries. We prioritize financial accessibility by:
- Working on contingency: You won’t have to pay our firm any money up front, and we won’t get paid unless you win your case.
- Offering free case evaluations: It costs you nothing to connect with our team and explore your legal options. During this meeting, we can discuss your case and its possible outcomes.
WHAT SHOULD I DO AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT IN BEL AIR, MD?
Car accidents can leave victims disoriented. You may be unsure about how to move forward with your case. Following these steps can ensure a smooth claims process:
- Seek immediate medical attention
- File a police report
- Exchange contact information with involved parties
- Leave all insurance matters to your legal team
- Maintain as much evidence as possible, such as photos of your injuries
Above all else, refuse to give a recorded statement. If the insurance company asks you to give one, tell it to talk to your injury lawyer.
GET IN TOUCH WITH THE LAW OFFICES OF ADAM M. SMALLOW TODAY
Injuries and damages from a car accident can severely impact your life and the lives of your family members, who may also feel the financial and emotional effects. If you got hurt because of someone else’s negligence, Maryland allows you to seek compensation for your medical treatments and other related expenses.
You do not have to go through a personal injury case alone. A Bel Air car accident lawyer from the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow can be there to fight for you along the way through settlement negotiations or on trial. The team at the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow can discuss your case for free in an initial consultation to determine what options are available to you. Contact us today to get started.