No family should have to endure the sudden loss of a loved one in a truck accident. Unfortunately, this can and does happen, leaving survivors wondering how they will pick up the pieces and move forward in the wake of their new reality.
Our Fort Washington fatal truck accident lawyer could fight for financial compensation on your family’s behalf. This money could be used for your loved one’s funeral and burial service or as financial support for the decedent’s dependents.
Why File a Fatal Truck Accident Case in Fort Washington?
Many relatives of wrongful death victims choose to take legal action because:
- They want to hold the at-fault party accountable for their reckless behavior
- They have incurred significant bills and expenses connected to their loved one’s passing
- Their loved one incurred significant bills and expenses that they never received compensation for
That said, wrongful death actions can be time-consuming and stressful. Even if you need and deserve damages, you may be tempted to forego filing a case in order to focus on your family and your mental health.
You Could Recover Damages After a Fort Washington Fatal Truck Crash
The Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow wants you to know that you do not have to choose between filing a case and taking time for yourself. Our Fort Washington truck accident lawyer can do all of the work associated with fighting for damages, which may include:
- Loss of companionship: Your loved one was an important, irreplaceable part of your life.
- Loss of financial support: You and/or others depended on your loved one’s salary to help you pay bills.
- Funeral expenses: It can cost thousands to properly bury, cremate, and honor your loved one.
- Mental and emotional suffering: Enduring a loved one’s sudden passing, especially when they passed away due to a preventable accident, can cause significant mental and emotional anguish.
Our team can explain which family members may be eligible to file a wrongful death case.
For legal consultation with a fatal truck accident attorney in Fort Washington, call (410)777-8960
Our Fort Washington Fatal Truck Accident Attorneys Work for You
At MD Accident Law, we see the devastating consequences of fatal accidents every day. This means we know what it takes to help clients recover fair results in wrongful death legal actions. Here are just some of the actions we can take to protect your family’s rights and recover the compensation you deserve:
Finding the Liable Party
In some cases, the liable party is obvious—for example, if your loved one was hit by an overworked truck driver who fell asleep at the wheel.
However, even cases that seem straightforward could be more complicated than you expect. For instance, perhaps the truck driver caused the accident because their brakes malfunctioned. In this case, you may be able to file a case against the driver and the truck manufacturer.
Our firm can find out what happened to your loved one by:
- Ordering copies of police reports and other official materials—you do not need to order anything yourself
- Compiling testimonies from you, your relatives, witnesses to the accident, and expert witnesses
- Finding out if any part of the accident or its aftermath was caught on tape or in photographs
- Looking into the background of potentially liable parties to discover if they have been involved in similar incidents before
Negotiating a Settlement
Our goal is to recover a fair amount of compensation from the liable party or parties. The evidence we collect can demonstrate what that amount is. Then we can show that evidence to the liable party’s representatives to prove your case.
Sometimes, we can negotiate an appropriate settlement before taking your case to court. Other times, the at-fault party’s insurance company may:
- Refuse to negotiate in good faith
- Not respond to your request for compensation at all
- Try to drag out the proceedings until you give up
- Deny responsibility for your loved one’s passing
We have seen and dealt with all of these tactics before, and we can protect you from any situation that threatens your right to compensation.
In some cases, it may be impossible to recover a satisfactory pretrial settlement. If that happens for any reason, do not worry. The Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow is prepared to take your case to court and work to advocate for you in front of a jury.
Operating Within Deadlines
According to Md. Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 3-904, you may only take legal action up to three years after the decedent’s passing. As soon as the three-year anniversary passes, it becomes much more difficult, if not impossible, to pursue compensation.
There may be additional deadlines to consider once you start your case. If you hire us within the three-year statute of limitations, we can work diligently to meet every deadline.
Fort Washington Fatal Truck Accident Attorney (410)777-8960
How Common Are Fatal Traffic Accidents in Fort Washington?
According to the first page of a report compiled by Zero Deaths MD, Prince George’s County saw 120 fatal accidents in 2021, which resulted in 130 fatalities. This makes 2021 the county’s most fatal year of the five-year period beginning in 2017.
Fatal truck accidents may happen for a variety of reasons. Many of them are related to driver errors such as:
- Driving too fast for the conditions
- Following another vehicle too closely
- Ignoring red lights, stop signs, and other traffic signs
- Becoming distracted by an object or person
- Driving in the wrong direction
- Not using the turn signal before turning or changing lanes
Fatal accidents are all too common—and their effects can be catastrophic for surviving family members. Let the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow devote our time and resources to fighting for you.
Click to contact our Fort Washington Truck Accident Attorneys today
Put Our Fatal Truck Accident Team To Work on Your Case in Fort Washington
The Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow would be honored to assign a Fort Washington fatal truck accident lawyer to handle your case for you. The sooner you call, the sooner we can provide you with a free case review and get to work on your case.
Your family deserves justice. Contact us today to get started on your case.
Call or text (410)777-8960 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form