The size and weight of a truck can cause catastrophic, even fatal, injuries in a crash. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) explains that upwards of 42,000 people died in accidents involving a commercial truck in 2021. These collisions devastate the lives of surviving loved ones and inflict financial hardship on the family.
If you lost a loved one due to injuries suffered in a truck accident, help is available. A Harford County fatal truck accident lawyer with the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow can evaluate what happened, quantify your damages, and pursue your financial recovery from the other party. For more information contact our Harford personal injury lawyer.
Recoverable Damages in a Harford County Fatal Truck Accident Claim
No amount of money can take back what happened to your loved one. However, compensation can help relieve some of the financial burden from the unexpected costs of this sudden, tragic loss.
According to Md. Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 3-904, surviving spouses, children, parents, or any blood relative (if the decedent was single or childless, or had deceased parents), may benefit from the following damages in a wrongful death case:
- Lost financial support
- Loss of society, consortium, or care
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Final medical bills
- Burial and funeral expenses
Once we review your case, one of our lawyers can see if you can recover other losses we didn’t mention here.
For legal consultation with a fatal truck accident attorney in Harford County, call (410)777-8960
How Our Fatal Truck Accident Attorneys in Harford County Can Help You
The trauma of what you and your family just experienced can turn your world upside down. Building a case against the liable party should be the last thing you have to worry about. Instead, have one of our wrongful death attorneys take on your case while you grieve your loved one. On your behalf, they can offer their help by:
- Compiling various forms of evidence
- Requesting information from the trucking company, like maintenance records, black box information, or dash cam footage
- Speaking to other involved parties on your behalf
- Naming the liable parties
- Pursuing a fair settlement through negotiations
- Representing you before a jury, if necessary
We also make having open communication with our clients a priority. That’s why we give them a unique texting number for 24/7 text communication. You can reach us by phone and email, too.
What Former Clients Have Said About Working With Our Harford County Team
No one can speak to how we care for our clients like they do. Check out what some of them have said about partnering with us:
- “Mr. Smallow was the clear choice. I benefited from this choice by retaining a responsive and knowledgeable attorney. My fee was reasonable and for a lack of a better phrase, I truly felt as though he worked for it. Mr. Smallow demonstrated stellar follow-through by having the case expunged from my record (with no additional attorney fee). I would recommend Mr. Smallow and should I need counsel in the future, his office will be my first phone call.” – Jason
- “Adam Smallow is the most professional, truthful, and caring lawyer you can ever find. He has a very pleasant character, and is quite generous with his time. He spends a lot of time studying his cases and preparing his clients for the hearings. He is always available when you need him, most importantly, during emergencies…” —Safa
We’re ready to get to work for you on your case today.
Harford County Fatal Truck Accident Attorney (410)777-8960
How Our Fatal Truck Accident Attorneys Receive Payment for Their Legal Services
Don’t worry about whether you can hire one of our lawyers—you can. At the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow, we offer our assistance on a contingency-fee basis. That means we don’t require you to pay us:
- Hourly fees
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Upfront costs
We do not take payment unless and until we recover compensation for you, as our attorney’s fees come out of the settlement or court award we secure for you.
Time Limits on Filing Fatal Truck Accident Cases
Md. Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 3-904 sets a timeline for how long you have to sue the other party for wrongful death damages. According to the statute, claimants usually have three years to file. Filing past the deadline can put your right to compensation at risk. However, if you consult our team sooner rather than later, we can get to work on your case right away so you can meet the deadline.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Potential Liable Parties in a Harford County Fatal Truck Accident
Multiple parties could be at fault in a truck accident case, such as:
- The truck driver: If they drove under the influence of alcohol or drugs, failed to yield, drove fatigued, were distracted, or improperly merged or changed lanes
- The trucking company: If they didn’t conduct regular safety checks, vet their drivers, or encouraged them to work overtime to make deliveries
- The cargo company: If the cargo company didn’t load and secure the cargo onto the truck properly
- The parts manufacturer: If they produced or designed a defective part, causing the driver to lose control of the truck
- The city government: If they didn’t inform road users about potential road hazards or clean up road debris quickly enough
- Another road user: If they violated road rules
However, just because someone might be at fault doesn’t mean they’re liable. For example, trucking companies generally take financial responsibility for their drivers’ negligence due to vicarious liability. Under this principle, employers take the fall for whatever damages their employees cause.
Sometimes, more than one party could bear liability for an accident and injuries. If this scenario applies to your case, your attorney could pursue each party for your compensation accordingly.
Hire Our Harford County Fatal Truck Accident Lawyers Today
If you lost a loved one in a fatal truck accident, you deserve to grieve in peace—not navigate Maryland’s complex legal system. Leave that to the Harford County fatal truck accident lawyers at the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow. We’ll handle your case from start to finish for nothing upfront.
Call us today for a free consultation.