If you have recently lost a loved one in a fatal car accident, please accept our condolences for your loss. We know how difficult it is to process and move on from such an event, and our lawyers in Virginia are here to help.
A Virginia car accident lawyer from MD Accident Law can ensure you do not have to deal with your case alone. With our help, you could pursue a financial settlement that would support your family for years to come. For more information contact our Virginia personal injury lawyer.
We Can Manage Your Virginia Accident Case
The state of Virginia allows you two years from your loved one’s passing to take legal action, according to Code of Virginia § 8.01.244. You should use this time to:
- Collect and save evidence of losses associated with the accident, such as funeral bills or your loved one’s medical bills
- Learn more about your legal options from our Virginia fatal car accident lawyer
- Figure out how you will rebuild your life while we handle all of the tasks and jobs associated with your legal case
The team at Adam M. Smallow wants to be a source of support and comfort to you as you learn to live with your loss. Clients rely on us to perform all manner of important tasks with the ultimate goal of attaining financial compensation commensurate with their damages. That includes:
- Keeping you informed by providing you with a unique number that you can text questions to at any time
- Investigating the accident and collecting evidence so we can prove that someone else’s negligence caused your loved one’s wrongful death
- If necessary, helping you receive medical care by recommending the kinds of reliable medical professionals that we would see ourselves
- Filing your case by submitting all appropriate paperwork, including a firm demand letter sent to the liable party and/or their insurer
- Negotiating with the insurer and trying to get them to agree to a fair settlement without the need for a trial
- Representing you in the courtroom and convincing the jury to award you a fair amount of money, if negotiating is unfeasible for any reason
- Personalizing our approach by coming up with a legal strategy specifically tailored to your situation
- Charging no attorney’s fees unless and until you get compensation from the insurer
When a driver or passenger dies in a car accident, their surviving loved ones have a right to a legal representative who cares about their interests, not the interests of a big trucking company or other corporation. Adam M. Smallow can be that representative for you.
For legal consultation with a fatal car accident attorney in Virginia, call (410)777-8960
Fatal Car Accidents and Financial Compensation
The negligent party who caused your loved one’s death should not be allowed to get away with not compensating your family for what you have lost. After taking a client’s case, we sit down with them to identify all of the losses for which they should seek compensation, including:
- Their loved one’s losses: If your loved one passed away before they could file a case on their own behalf, your family could receive compensation for their medical expenses, pain and suffering, and reduced quality of life.
- End-of-life expenses: For example, you might have to pay for funeral and burial expenses or for the cost of an attorney to settle any disputes with your loved one’s last will and testament.
- Loss of companionship: Your loved one meant the world to you. Money cannot replace their affectionate and guiding presence, but it can serve as an acknowledgment of what the liable party has taken from your family.
- Loss of financial support: Without your loved one’s income and job benefits, it is harder for you to make ends meet. You deserve to be reimbursed for the money they would have contributed to your household over their lifetime.
Once we have a complete list of your damages, we can calculate their exact worth. This may involve:
- Reviewing billing statements or receipts
- Using legal formulas
- Talking to experts
- Estimating the cost of future losses
You will want to know your case’s value so that the insurance company cannot undervalue your case with an insufficient settlement offer. MD Accident Law can help you assess any such offers and advise you of whether they are worth serious consideration.
Virginia Fatal Car Accident Attorney (410)777-8960
How Can Fatal Car Accidents Happen?
Page 13 of a report issued by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) provides some illuminating data regarding how fatal car accidents happen in the commonwealth. For instance:
- There were over 1,000 car accident fatalities in Virginia in 2022.
- Over a quarter of these accidents involved alcohol.
- Over a third of fatalities involved people not wearing their seatbelts.
- Forty-four percent of fatal accidents involved excessive speed.
These statistics show that negligence plays a significant role in fatal car crashes. It is vital that drivers protect themselves and others by obeying the speed limit, making sure everyone in the vehicle uses their seatbelt, and avoiding intoxicating substances before getting behind the wheel.
Other Fatal Car Accident Causes
In a minority of cases, someone other than a negligent driver may be behind a fatal car crash. For instance, maybe:
- A car part manufacturer knew they had released a hazardous product but refused to recall it or to warn the public about it.
- The other driver’s employer had a policy in place that endangered both their employees and you (e.g., they did not properly vet their drivers before hiring).
- A local government agency was too slow about addressing hazards in the roadway, such as a broken traffic light.
This is why we carefully investigate each and every case we take on: MD Accident Law wants to be absolutely sure that we are suing the correct party or parties so that no one gets away with negligent, deadly behavior.
Turn Your Car Accident Case Over to Us
When you are dealing with the fallout from an unexpected death, do not settle for anyone else. Adam M. Smallow can provide the sensitive, professional representation you deserve in your time of crisis. Contact us now to see what our Virginia fatal car accident lawyer can do for you.