Boating provides fun recreation opportunities for tourists and locals alike. This activity isn’t without its risks, though. Maryland saw 155 boating accidents in 2020, 64 of which resulted in injuries.
Tour guides and other boaters owe you a duty of care. If they fail to uphold this duty of care, you can get hurt. If you were injured while boating in Maryland, you may have grounds for an insurance claim or lawsuit. These avenues could provide you with compensation. Adam M. Smallow, our lead personal injury lawyer, can help you pursue this compensation.
The Value of a Boating Accident Case
Compensation, whether it’s through a lawsuit or insurance settlement, can reimburse you for your injuries and other losses.
There’s no set case value for boating accidents. Compensation amounts vary greatly from case to case.
Generally, though, boating accidents involve a similar set of damages. Damages provide reimbursement for the different types of losses you may have suffered. They include:
- Pain and suffering
- Property damages
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages if your injuries were debilitating
Our Baltimore boating accident lawyer can review the facts of your case to provide a damages estimate. This estimate will guide your pursuit of compensation.
For legal consultation with a boating accident attorney in Baltimore, call (410)777-8960
What Causes Boating Accidents?
These negligent behaviors cause boating accidents:
- Speeding at night
- Drinking while boating
- A lack of safety equipment, like lifejackets
- Slipping overboard
- Boat collisions
- Running out of gas in a dangerous situation
Adequate preparation protects you from getting hurt while out on the water. The Maryland State Boating Regulation Act highlights safety equipment requirements for boaters. Typically, boaters must always carry life jackets and fire extinguishers.
Baltimore Boating Accident Attorney (410)777-8960
We Represent a Range of Boating Accident Clients
Boating accidents occur in a variety of contexts. We know that every accident is unique, and work to represent a range of clients including:
- Victims of drunk or otherwise negligent boaters
- Victims of negligent boat captains, tour guides, and boating companies
- Victims of jet skis accidents or other personal watercraft crashes
- Victims of boating collisions
Maryland Has Strict Boating Accident Liability Rules
Maryland adheres to contributory negligence rules. This legal precedent means that if a plaintiff in a lawsuit is even 1% responsible for the involved boating accident, they could be barred from receiving legal compensation.
To win a lawsuit, it must be clear that another party was responsible for your injuries. Given Maryland’s strict contributory negligence rules, the margin for error in boating accident cases is thin.
Our boating accident lawyer will work to establish these qualifiers when assigning liability:
- That the liable party was responsible for your safety or owed you a duty of care
- That the liable party behaved in a negligent or unsafe manner
- That this negligence caused your injuries
- That your medical records show that you were injured
Building a legal case and proving these qualifiers requires evidence. We can investigate the following pieces of information:
- Footage of the boating accident
- Eyewitness statements
- Relevant reports of the incident
- Expert testimonials
- Images of the boating accident
Collecting and managing this evidence is a chore. You don’t need to go it alone, though. Our boating accident lawyer can stay on top of the facts of your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Will an Insurance Settlement Cover My Boating Accident Losses?
Boating insurance is not required in Maryland. This means that a noninsured party could have caused your collision. If the liable party doesn’t have insurance, you will need to pursue other compensation avenues.
Medical insurance can cover some medical expenses after a boating accident. However, if you find that your coverage is limited, a lawsuit or mediation may be required for further compensation.
We Can Handle Insurance Negotiations
Insurers don’t always have the best interests of boating accident victims in mind. They may place their financial bottom line over your recovery.
To reduce their pay-outs, insurers may:
- Request a recorded statement from you, and use this statement to reduce your claim
- Investigate your boating accident case and use the information they discover to reduce your claim
- Offer you a quick but low-value settlement offer
Our Baltimore boating accident attorney can manage insurance negotiations. They can identify and protect you from bad-faith insurance practices. You deserve fair compensation.
Why Choose a Boating Accident Lawyer From The Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow?
When you work with The Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow, you’ll get more than just a lawyer. You’ll receive:
- Peace of mind: Attending to a legal case is a full-time job. Our boating accident lawyer can manage your case specifics so you can get back to what really matters: your family, your recovery, and your finances.
- Communicative support: We offer a unique 24/7 text number to each of our clients. When you hire our boating accident lawyer, you’ll never be confused by the specifics of your legal case. We’ll provide comprehensive answers to all your questions.
- Risk-free legal services: We recognize that boating accidents can be expensive. If your boat was involved in the accident, you may be left with a mountain of repair costs. We offer free case evaluations to our clients and work on a contingency fee basis.
Stories from our clients illustrate the benefits of our legal services. Read what they’ve said about The Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow:
- “Adam Smallow was great at making me feel very important and he treated my case with the utmost professionalism.” – Frank J.
- “This is the best lawyer that I have ever had. He’s a good hard worker and is for the people not his self.” – Steven L.
- “I would highly recommend Adam Smallow for his expertise and persistent commitment to his clients.” – Sean M.
You Have a Limited Time To Act After a Boating Accident in Baltimore
Insurance claims are typically settled quickly after an accident. However, as noted previously, insurance won’t always adequately cover your damages.
If an insurance claim isn’t sufficient, a lawsuit is usually your next best option. In Maryland, the statute of limitations on personal injury lawsuits is three years.
Delayed insurance claims or other case factors can sideline your case. When you miss your case’s statute of limitations, you miss your chance to pursue additional legal action.
Our Baltimore boating accident lawyer can support you as you manage your deadlines, and make sure that you submit all of your documentation on time.
Hire a Baltimore Boating Accident Lawyer Today
Adam M. Smallow has over 10 years of legal experience. He is a member of the following groups:
- District of Columbia Bar
- Pennsylvania Bar
- Maryland Bar
- Maryland Association for Justice
He’s committed to his clients and their pursuit of justice. You deserve a fighting chance. Call our offices for a free case evaluation.