Who Can Be Sued in a Car Accident Case?

Many different parties can be sued in a car accident case in Maryland. In general, you can sue any negligent party whose actions caused your car accident. While some states may limit legal action against certain entities, Maryland allows car accident victims to sue at-fault drivers, insurance companies, government entities, and third-party organizations. If you were injured in a car accident, a personal injury lawyer may be able to help you better understand the state laws surrounding your claim and who you may be able to sue.

Suing the Negligent Party for Your Damages

When another driver causes your car accident, victims typically pursue compensation from their car insurance provider. If the insurance provider refuses to make you a fair settlement offer, you can file a personal injury lawsuit against them in court. If the responsible driver did not have car insurance, you can sue them personally for your damages. However, there is the possibility that if this driver was not carrying car insurance because they could not afford to do so, they may not have significant assets to compensate you with. There may be other negligent parties who caused your accident for you to sue. Consider:
  • A mechanic who fails to correctly install or maintain a critical vehicle safety system, such as the brakes or steering
  • A trucking company that failed to hire licensed drivers and let an inexperienced employee operate a commercial vehicle that caused your accident
  • A car component manufacturer who released a faulty product that caused your accident, such as a defective tire or airbag
  • A municipality who left unsafe conditions on the road that caused your accident
  • A government agency whose employee struck your car in their work vehicle
As many insurance companies have in-house legal teams ready to challenge claims, some victims choose to have an injury lawyer represent them.

Deadlines for Suing in Maryland

Special rules apply for suing government entities in Maryland. Maryland Tort Claims Act § 12-106 details that your claim against a government entity generally must include a written letter to the Treasurer submitted no later than one year after your accident. This is much shorter than the general three-year statute of limitations that applies to personal injury cases per Maryland Courts and Judicial Proceedings § 5–101.

Maryland Drivers Are Required to Have Accident Insurance

According to the Maryland Insurance Administration, drivers must meet minimum insurance requirements before they are legally allowed to operate their vehicle in Maryland. These requirements include:
  • Coverage of $30,000 pertaining to the injury or death of one person caused by the driver of the vehicle
  • Coverage of $60,000 related to the injury or death of two or more people at the hands of the driver
  • Coverage of $15,000 for any property damage occurring during the driver’s accident

Compensation in a Car Accident Case

If you are able to prove that another party is liable for your accident, you may be able to recover compensation for a wide range of damages. Although each case is different, in general, recoverable damages may include:
  • Ambulance fees, emergency room treatment, hospitalization, and surgery
  • Doctor’s appointments, therapy, medication, and ongoing care
  • Estimated future costs of medical care
  • Lost wages
  • Reduced earning capability
  • Property damage
  • Non-economic damages such as pain and suffering and mental anguish
  • And more

The Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow May Be Able to Help You

Here at the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow, we understand the confusion and frustration that can accompany a car accident, especially when it comes to who may be financially responsible for your injuries. Our attorneys proudly represent car accident victims across the state of Maryland so that our clients can focus on more important things, like their recovery and their family. Our firm can identify the liable party, gather evidence of their full liability in accordance with Maryland’s pure contributory negligence system, and handle your personal injury claim or lawsuit. At the end of the day, our attorneys are here to help protect your rights and pursue compensation after you have fallen victim to a negligent car accident. We handle car accident cases on a contingency-fee-basis with no up-front payments required. To get started with your free consultation today with a member of our team, call the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow at (410) 877-6021. We can discuss your injuries, your legal deadlines, and who can be sued in your car accident case.