If you were the victim of a car accident, your life can be turned upside down. Remember, during this difficult time, you can file a claim if you think another party was responsible. You can seek compensation through an insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit.
Learn your next steps by contacting a Kingsville car accident lawyer. The Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow can review your case at no charge.
Potential Compensation In A Car Accident Case
In general, compensation in car accident claims is awarded because of what you, as a victim, have had to endure at the hands of a third party. If you were involved in a car accident, you know firsthand how difficult the aftermath can be.
Some of the losses you suffered may include:
- Emotional trauma: Emotional effects, such as sleeping difficulties, mood changes, anxiety, and even depression, are possible following your accident. In severe cases, you could require professional medical help.
- Physical injuries: Injuries can range from minor cuts, scrapes, and bruises, to severe or even life-threatening conditions. If you were severely injured, you may require long-term medical care.
- Financial loss: Other than your medical expenses, financial losses related to your accident could include lost wages if you took time off work to heal. Your vehicle may have also suffered damage, requiring repairs or replacement.
Remember: any type of suffering is unfair to you as the victim. If your accident caused hardship in any way, you could have a case.
Examples Of Recoverable Damages In A Kingsville Collision Case
Because the details of every car accident are different, it is impossible to say the exact types of compensation you could be eligible for. Your accident could result in one or more of the following types of damages:
- Compensation for damage to your vehicle or any damaged valuables
- Reimbursement for any medical expenses directly related to your accident
- Damages for your physical pain and emotional turmoil
- Compensation paid to family members of lost loved ones in wrongful death claims
If you choose to file a claim and your case is successful, there are different ways you could expect to receive compensation.
How Would I Receive Compensation?
Choosing how to receive your compensation is important, as you have different options.
Typically, both single lump-sum payments, and smaller installments paid over a specified schedule, are available for car accident victims who are awarded money.
For legal consultation with a car accident attorney in Kingsville, call (410)777-8960
Negligent Driving Can Make Another Party Liable
Negligent driving can cause or contribute to car accidents. Our lawyers may discover that the following forms of negligence played a role in your accident:
- Distracted driving: The use of cell phones, eating while driving, or looking away from the road are all examples of distracted driving. Distracted driving is dangerous and illegal.
- Intoxicated driving: Drugs and alcohol reduce a driver’s reaction time and affect their vision, which can cause accidents.
- Speeding: High-speed collisions can result in more severe injuries and damages than low-speed crashes.
- Reckless driving: Any careless or reckless action on the road constitutes negligence.
- Failure to obey traffic laws: If another driver failed to adhere to the laws of the road, such as running a stop sign, turning without a signal, or breaking any other law, they could be held liable.
Multiple parties may have contributed to the accident, as well. Our legal team can determine who is responsible for your injuries and pursue compensation from each liable party.
Kingsville Car Accident Attorney (410)777-8960
Our Kingsville, MD, Car Accident Lawyers Can Handle Every Aspect Of Your Case
Hiring a lawyer can help you focus on your recovery while also pursuing compensation. Our lawyers can offer guidance, answer your questions, assist with paperwork, and more.
Take a look at what some of our previous clients had to say about working with us:
“Mr. Smallow was the clear choice. I benefited from this choice by retaining a responsive and knowledgeable attorney. My fee was reasonable and for a lack of a better phrase, I truly felt as though he worked for it… I would recommend Mr. Smallow and should I need counsel in the future, his office will be my first phone call.” – Jason
“Adam M. Smallow is great and knows how to fight for the outcome you want and won’t stop until he has succeeded. Adam Smallow was great at making me feel very important and he treated my case with the utmost professionalism.” – Frank J.
“Adam Smallow provides exceptional legal work with prompt, personal service… I highly recommend anyone in the Baltimore, MD area to use his firm!” – Dana
You can view more client testimonials on our website.
We Will Prove The Tenants Of Negligence In Your Injury Case
We can’t just send a demand letter and hope to recover compensation for your losses. The law requires us to prove negligence. This involves showing:
The Other Party’s Legal Obligation Toward You
People who drive on Maryland’s streets are subject to our regulations that govern safe driving. These rules can include basic rules of the road, local speed limits, and state laws about driving under the influence of alcohol.
Another Party Violated A Traffic Law
If someone violates a traffic law or operates their motor vehicle without regard for others’ safety, they are negligent. For instance, if the other driver drove over the posted speed limit, this is a violation of the law and their duty of care.
The Other Party’s Actions Caused The Collision
Next, we must show that the other party caused the crash. Consider this scenario. A speeding motorist didn’t stop at a red light. They collided with your car. This could make them liable for your injury-related losses. We would use supporting evidence to highlight your accident’s cause.
You Have Measurable Damages
Finally, to pursue damages, we must show that you have accident-related losses. These losses could come in the form of medical bills, lost income, and other related expenses.
When we can prove all four of these factors, we can pursue a claim against the at-fault party.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Contingency Fees Work In Personal Injury Cases
Sometimes, people try to handle their injury claims on their own without a lawyer’s help. They do this because they have concerns about affording legal assistance. Yet, everyone can afford a lawyer’s services, and the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow is no different.
Unlike in most other areas of law, like getting a divorce or setting up a corporation, you do not have to pay any upfront legal fees in your personal injury claim.
Here is how attorney fees work in personal injury cases:
- You do not have to deposit money into the attorney’s trust account for them to start working on your case.
- Your personal injury lawyer will not charge you a flat fee or bill you by the hour for their work.
- We handle personal injury cases, like Kingsville car accident claims, on a contingency-fee basis, not an hourly or flat-fee basis.
- We will sign a written fee agreement with you at the beginning of your case so that you know what to expect.
- At the end of your case, we get paid a percentage of the settlement or jury award. You will already know the percentage we request from the fee agreement.
- No matter how many hours we have to work, we still get paid a percentage.
- If you do not win, you do not owe us any attorney’s fees.
So, you see, you can afford to have your own lawyer battle with the insurance company on your behalf. You can contact us today for a free initial consultation with no obligation.
How Long Do I Have To File A Lawsuit?
According to Md. Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 5-101, you generally have three years to take legal action against a liable party. While this can seem like a long time, there are many steps to the legal process, so act swiftly. If you miss the deadline, you could see the court dismiss your case entirely.
Our legal team can help you abide by the statute of limitations and file all the necessary paperwork in a timely manner.
Still, the sooner you act, the better. We need time to investigate your case, gather evidence, and negotiate with insurers. None of these steps stalls the state-imposed deadline, though.
Contact Our Team Today
If you are ready to take steps toward putting your accident behind you, the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow is here to help. You shouldn’t have to hassle with the legal process and mountains of paperwork. We can handle your claim or lawsuit from beginning to end, so you can focus on your health. Also, we can suggest a well-qualified medical professional for you, someone we would go to ourselves.
Contact us for a free consultation with one of our team members today. The sooner you reach out to us, the sooner we can begin working on your case.