After causing an accident, the at-fault driver must stay on the scene, make sure the other party is OK, and provide their insurance and contact information. However, you could still collect monetary compensation even if the driver who hit you failed to take care of their responsibilities.
Our Edgewood car accident lawyer would like to help you recover fair damages for your financial losses and bodily injuries. This money could make it easier to afford everything you and your family need as you recuperate.
Taking Legal Action After a Hit and Run
Our Edgewood personal injury lawyer will take every possible step to support you as you seek compensation, including the following:
- Recommending the best doctors to evaluate your injuries and provide treatment.
- Explaining your rights and responsibilities as the plaintiff in your case.
- Giving you 24/7 access to our team via a dedicated phone number for text messages.
- Speaking with all other parties on your behalf.
In addition, we won’t charge upfront fees to take on your case, instead receiving payment only if you recover compensation as a percentage of your award.
We can also help you consider your options for pursuing compensation from a hit-and-run driver.
Suing the Driver
In some cases, we may be able to find the hit-and-run driver by:
- Recording your recollections of what happened
- Interviewing eyewitnesses about the accident
- Reviewing photos or video footage
- Using information from the police report
We investigate every single case with care and diligence. If that investigation allows us to identify the hit and run driver, we could help you seek compensation from them.
Filing an Insurance Claim
According to the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA), all drivers in the state must carry uninsured motorist coverage that provides financial relief if the driver who hits you does not have adequate insurance. Your uninsured motorist coverage must include the following:
- $30,000 for bodily injury per person
- $60,000 for bodily injury for two or more people
- $15,000 for property damage
Uninsured motorist coverage comes in handy in a hit-and-run crash. That’s because even if we never find the driver, you could still recover compensation by filing a claim with your insurance company.
If your insurer denies your claim or tries to pay less than you need, Adam Smallow Injury Lawyers could assist you in getting the money you deserve. For instance, we could present evidence (such as medical bills) to the insurance adjuster and negotiate with them for a better settlement.
Suing a Third Party
Not every car accident case has a single at-fault party. Instead, multiple parties may have contributed to your accident, and one may be easier to find than the hit-and-run driver.
For instance, suppose the accident occurred on a road where overgrown foliage limited visibility, and the local government should have trimmed or cut down the vegetation. The government’s carelessness helped set the stage for the hit and run, and you could seek compensation from them.
For legal consultation with a hit and run accident attorney in Edgewood, call (410)777-8960
Responding to a Car Accident Lawfully
Immediately after a car accident, you should take these steps:
- Stay as close to the scene as you can. However, you may move your car to the side of the road rather than staying in the line of traffic.
- Call 911 to summon the police and, if necessary, an ambulance to the scene.
- Check to see if other involved parties need help and get them medical aid as required.
- Exchange names, phone numbers, and insurance information with the other driver.
If someone flees an accident scene, they have broken the law, as codified by Md. Transportation Code § 20-104. Therefore, they should not only face punishment to the fullest extent of the law (e.g., with a fine or jail time), but you could also compel them to pay for the damage they inflicted.
Edgewood Hit and Run Accident Attorney (410)777-8960
Our Attorneys Want to Get Compensation for You
Md. Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 5-101 gives you three years to take legal action against someone who hurts you through negligence or recklessness. However, you might want to consider consulting an attorney as soon as possible for your protection.
Adam Smallow Injury Lawyers realizes you have a lot on your mind right now. But, at the same time, we do not want your understandable worries to deprive you of the opportunity to pursue compensation for the following damages:
- Medical expenses: Doctors’ bills can quickly deplete your savings or plunge you into debt. However, a settlement could ensure you can afford the care you need without sacrificing your family’s financial stability.
- Loss of income: If you cannot work during your recovery, we could calculate how much you have lost and ask the at-fault party to pay you that amount.
- Property damage: You need your car to go to work, run errands for the family, and more. Compensation could help you afford car repairs or even a new vehicle.
- Pain and suffering: You could experience various physical and psychological symptoms after a collision. Any severe injury could make you eligible for damages.
- Loss of consortium: A motor vehicle accident could forever change your relationship with your spouse or other close relatives.
- Reduced quality of life: Do your injuries prevent you from taking care of yourself, enjoying time with loved ones, or doing what you want to do? Such losses could increase the amount of money you receive.
Our firm will fight hard for you so that you can relax and recover from the accident.
Wrongful Death Following a Hit-and-Run Crash
In addition to the damages listed above, wrongful death damages are available for those who lost a loved one to a hit and run crash. If you face this situation, please accept our condolences. Also, know that our wrongful death lawyers can provide a free consultation whenever you are ready to start a case.
Start Your Hit and Run Case Today
Adam Smallow Injury Lawyers cares deeply about giving back to our community. To us, that means helping local students, providing professional legal representation for no upfront fees, and more. So, to learn about what our Edgewood hit and run accident lawyer can do for you, contact us today and receive a free case review.