Were you hurt in an accident in Anne Arundel County, Maryland? If so, you may want to work with a lawyer to review your legal options and build a claim to secure compensation to cover your losses.
An Anne Arundel County car accident lawyer can help if you were rear-ended, hit head-on, or T-boned. The Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow are ready to assist you in your time of need. For more information contact our Anne Arundel personal injury lawyer.
The Steps To Take After A Car Accident
The steps you take after your car accident impact your claim results. First, make sure you stop your vehicle if you get involved in a motor vehicle collision. Then, pull your car off to the side and out of the flow of traffic if possible.
After getting your damaged vehicle to a safe location, make sure that you:
- Contact the police to report the accident
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident, your vehicle damage, and your injuries
- Get contact information from the other driver and witnesses
You may require medical attention after a car accident in Anne Arundel County. Getting medical treatment quickly allows healthcare professionals to assess your needs and create a paper trail tied to your collision.
Finally, consider reaching out to an Anne Arundel County car accident attorney for professional legal advice about your case.
For legal consultation with a car accident attorney in Anne Arundel County, call (410)777-8960
Common Causes Of Car Accidents
Car accidents often occur when drivers ignore the rules of the road and operate their vehicles dangerously or recklessly. We see collisions when drivers:
- Swerve across lanes of traffic without looking
- Refuse to yield when merging
- Run red lights or stop signs
- Exceed the speed limit
- Backup without looking
The above list contains only a handful of examples of behaviors that can lead to car accidents in Maryland. Drivers often engage in these behaviors because they are impatient, tired, distracted, or under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Your car accident lawyer can review the reasons for your accident while building a claim for you.
Anne Arundel County Car Accident Attorney (410)777-8960
The Importance Of Establishing Fault In Maryland
Determining who caused your accident matters when it comes to compensation in Maryland. Therefore, working with a lawyer who can build a strong claim for you is essential. Lawyers investigate the facts by:
- Reviewing your police report
- Interviewing all eyewitnesses
- Visiting the scene of the accident
- Working with accident reconstruction technicians
Taking these steps can help your Anne Arundel County car accident lawyer gather proof that you did not cause the collision.
Forms Of Compensation Available For Car Accident Victims
A car accident’s aftermath can profoundly impact the lives of you and your loved ones. Whether your injuries are short-term or long-term, you deserve to be compensated for both the economic and non-economic costs involved.
A lawyer from the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow can help you secure the appropriate compensation for your losses. You may seek payment for:
- Emergency medical care
- Medical tests and procedures
- Time in a hospital or physical therapy
In addition to covering your healthcare expenses, the driver who caused your accident may also provide funds for your vehicle repairs, lost wages at work and diminished earning potential. Non-economic damages could involve compensation for pain and suffering, disfigurement, and death of a loved one. You do not have to shoulder this burden alone. We can help.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Our Personal Injury Law Firm Can Help With Your Claim
Our clients know they can get the rest they need to get better because we handle everything else. Here are just a few of the many five-star testimonials our clients have posted about us on Google:
I have used other lawyers for auto cases in the past but none as great as this office. —Brittany S.
My experience has been exceptional. The staff is friendly, understanding, and, most importantly, experienced, knowledgeable, and professional. —Roson R.
Could not have asked for a better result. This is the team you want to work with after a traumatic accident, they will take care of you! —Chris W.
Come find out for yourself why our clients are so pleased with the legal services we provided to them.
How To Prove Who Is Liable For Your Car Accident Damages
We cannot file an injury claim against everyone involved in the car accident. Before pursuing a claim for monetary damages from someone, we have to prove
their negligence caused the accident that injured you. For example:
- A car repair shop could be responsible if their faulty repair caused your brakes to fail, resulting in a crash.
- A drunk driver who fell asleep at the wheel can be liable for colliding with another vehicle.
- A tractor-trailer driver could be responsible if their violation of the hours-of-driving rules made them drowsy, causing them to get into an accident.
In these situations, a judge would likely hold the at-fault party accountable for the harm they caused. Generally, there must be measurable losses, like physical wounds, to go forward with a personal injury claim.
Your Options To Secure Compensation For Accidents In Maryland
What steps can you take to secure damages to cover your losses after a car accident in Anne Arundel County? You have several options to choose from after your collision.
Seek Compensation Through The Insurance Company
Many individuals file a claim with the other driver’s insurance company when they want compensation for the damages associated with a car accident. The Motor Vehicle Administration does not require drivers to carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance, but it does need drivers to have policies for at least:
- $30,000 bodily injury liability (BIL) for one individual per accident
- $60,000 BIL for all parties involved per accident
- $15,000 property damage liability (PDL) per accident
Drivers who carry less than this amount of insurance are considered underinsured. However, even fully insured drivers may not be able to cover all of your losses after a severe accident.
Additionally, some insurance companies refuse to pay claims after car accidents in Anne Arundel. In this situation, you may want to pursue other options to seek compensation.
File A Lawsuit Against The Driver Who Caused The Accident
A lawyer can help you build a claim and file a lawsuit in court after another driver strikes your vehicle. In this situation, a lawyer shows that the driver was at-fault for the accident, which led to your injuries.
Consider your options before deciding how to proceed with your claim in Anne Arundel County.
How Long After A Car Accident Can I Sue In Maryland?
Many drivers wonder about the time frame they have to seek compensation after a collision. Under Md. Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 5-101, drivers generally have three years to file a personal injury claim. Unfortunately, the statute of limitations expires after three years, preventing you from seeking compensation for your losses.
The court system sometimes adjusts this time limit; courts usually enforce the deadline. Also, if a government agency’s negligence caused the collision, the statute of limitations could be much shorter. You can speak with a car accident attorney to ensure you understand your case’s time restrictions.
A lawyer can also take steps to ensure all aspects of your case proceed in a timely manner. For example, your lawyer can file all the appropriate forms and keep you up to date about the progress of your case.
Example Of Pitfalls That Could Decrease The Value Of Your Car Accident Case
These situations could diminish the settlement value of your injury claim:
- Waiting to get medical treatment. The more time that passes between the collision and your medical attention, the more difficult it will be to convince a judge that the accident caused your injuries. The other party might concede that you have injuries but allege that you got hurt from another incident.
- Settling too soon. There is a delicate balance between waiting until all of your medical treatment is complete and missing the filing deadline. If need be, we can file a lawsuit to satisfy the deadline. The defendant will not have to pay for your treatment after settling. You will want to complete your healthcare procedures before settling.
- Agreeing to a low-ball settlement offer. The first offer from the claims adjuster is almost always much lower than you deserve. A typical negotiation strategy is that the initial demands or offers are not a person’s “bottom line” because they reserve some room to negotiate. If someone accepts the first offer, the defendant can laugh all the way to the bank about the money they saved.
- Social media can be your worst enemy when you have a pending claim or lawsuit. Usually, the other side can access your postings, take them out of context, and use them against you. Therefore, staying off social media until after your claim settles is best.
When we handle your claim, we can advise you on additional measures you might want to take based on your circumstances.
Contact A Car Accident Attorney Serving Anne Arundel County For Help Today
You do not have to try to secure damages on your own after a car accident. Instead, you can work with an Anne Arundel County car accident lawyer immediately after the collision.
Our team at the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow puts clients first. We understand how an accident can impact your life and make it easy to reach us. Not only are we easy to contact by phone or email, but we also provide our clients with a unique text number so they can reach us 24/7 with any questions or issues they need to resolve.
Contact us today and start your road to justice.