If you were involved in an accident that led to injuries or property damage, you may consider hiring a personal injury lawyer. When you have legal representation, you should not refrain from sharing any information related to your accident with your lawyer. Even if you believe you were partially at fault for the accident, your lawyer needs to know that.
When they agree to take on your case, your lawyer’s goal is to understand what caused the accident and assign financial liability to the right person or entity. For that to happen, you need to provide them with as much information as possible. Your lawyer will use the information you provide and the evidence their investigation uncovers to build your case.
The Benefits Of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
A personal injury case is just that — personal. Because it is, you might consider handling your case on your own. Before making that decision, you should understand what a car accident lawyer does, and the range of benefits they bring to your case.
Your lawyer will:
- Investigate the details of your accident
- Obtain any accident or incident reports
- Read and review your medical records
- Assess the financial value of your case
- Prove the legal elements of negligence
- Canvass for photos and video footage
Your lawyer will work hard to negotiate a favorable settlement with the at-fault party’s insurance company. If necessary, they will also represent you in court, if necessary, to help you keep fighting for the compensation you need and deserve.
The Role Of Negligence In Accident Cases
One of the reasons you might hesitate to share all the details of your accident with your lawyer is because you believe you played a role — even a minor one — in its cause. The good news is that if you did play a role, the contributory negligence laws of your state may not prohibit you from obtaining compensation.
Negligence is typically assigned in percentages and as long as your contribution is 50% liability or less, you can still recover damages. Other reasons you should share everything with your lawyer include:
- Your lawyer is mandated by law to keep everything you say confidential
- Your role in the accident could be much smaller than you think it is
- You might not actually bear any responsibility for the accident at all
It can be easy to panic and ascribe more fault to yourself than you deserve. Our legal team will work to prove the cause of your accident and help you fight for financial recovery.
Your Lawyer Uses The Information You Share To Build Your Case
To pursue compensation for you, your lawyer will prove the four legal elements of negligence. These include:
- Duty — The at-fault party owed you a reasonable duty of care
- Breach — The at-fault party’s actions breached their responsibility
- Causation — The at-fault party’s actions caused your injuries
- Damages — Your accident resulted in financial consequences
These elements are proven using physical evidence, witness statements, and your own recollections of the accident. Your lawyer will compile and submit evidence on your behalf.
For legal consultation, call (410)777-8960
Your Attorney-Client Relationship Is Protected
An important tenet of your relationship with your lawyer is its privilege. Legally, everything you say to your lawyer must remain confidential — between the two of you. Since your lawyer has your best interest in mind, they may also caution you against the following actions which will not be held in confidence:
- Sharing any information with the at-fault party’s legal or insurance representative
- Making statements, posting photos, or accepting new friend requests via social media
Share any information you have with your lawyer and let them decide when and where it needs to be shared. Do not hold anything back. Doing so could lead to surprises for your lawyer at a later date. It could also impede your attorney’s investigation.
Your Personal Injury Lawyer Is On Your Side
While you focus on recovering from the injuries you sustained in an accident, your lawyer can get to work on your case. To bolster and support your personal injury case, your lawyer will:
- Obtain, complete, and submit claim forms
- Simplify complex legal terminology and jargon for you
- Address your concerns and answer any questions
- Provide ongoing updates on the progress of your case
You are never alone when you have legal representation in your pursuit of financial compensation. Your lawyer will also handle all verbal, written, and electronic communication relevant to your case.
Contact Our Car Accident Team Today
Have you or someone you love suffered an accidental injury caused by someone else’s negligence? If you have, our law firm can help you seek financial compensation. Do not refrain from sharing any information related to your accident with our personal injury lawyer.
Explore your compensation options and get a free review of your case by calling one of our consultation team members at the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow today.
Call or text (410)777-8960 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form