Because Maryland is one of only four states in the U.S. with contributory negligence laws, you could be banned from collecting any damages from the driver who caused the accident. So even if the at-fault driver bears 99% of the fault for causing the collision, you will not be able to sue them. That makes it important to have a motorcycle accident attorney by your side who can help you accurately assign fault after your accident.
If you were involved in a motorcycle accident because a vehicle driver was negligent or driving dangerously, recklessly, or carelessly, you could be entitled to financial compensation. At the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow, our Havre de Grace motorcycle accident lawyer will help you navigate the legal system. Our goal is to get you the compensation you deserve and to hold the at-fault driver responsible for his actions.
Common Causes and Contributing Factors to Motorcycle Accidents
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) research cites vehicle drivers making left turns as a common cause of motorcycle versus vehicle accidents. As many as 42% of all fatal motorcycle accidents share this cause. Additional causes include:
- Alcohol overuse
- Reckless driving
- Distracted driving
Our motorcycle accident attorneys will work hard to prove the cause of your accident and to collect evidence that proves the at-fault driver’s liability and financial responsibility. We also help you avoid potentially costly contributory negligence laws that can block any compensation you might otherwise have received.
We Represent You Throughout the Settlement Process of Your Accident Claim
Settlement negotiations can involve several rounds of back-and-forth communication and exchanges of financial offers. It can be a long, detailed process, and it can be difficult to resolve your motorcycle accident case on your own. At the beginning of settlement talks, our motorcycle accident lawyers will request the following types of recoverable damages:
- Economic damages which include short- and long-term medical treatment, short- and long-term income loss, damage or loss of your motorcycle, and any other tangible, accident-related costs.
- Non-economic damages which include physical disability, lasting or permanent disfigurement, mental and emotional angst, and ongoing physical pain and suffering.
- Wrongful death damages, if necessary, which include funeral and burial expenses and loss of your loved one’s companionship, counseling, guidance, and support.
We carefully assess your damages, ensure their value is accurate and negotiate on your behalf. Our goal is to resolve your case without going to court and to let you and your family start the physical and emotional recovery process as soon as possible.
For legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents attorney in Havre de Grace, call (410)886-6215
How a Motorcycle Accident Attorney Can Benefit Your Case
Because you are exposed to the impact of the road and the ground, a motorcycle accident can leave you seriously injured or incapacitated. Our motorcycle accident lawyer takes over when your injuries impact your ability to participate in your case. Our legal team will:
- Protect you from Maryland’s contributory negligence law, which can block you from receiving any compensation
- Foster frequent communication by providing you with a phone number, email address, and unique text number
- Support your all-around recovery because we understand the impact a serious accident can have on you and your family
Our law firm can suggest medical professionals to help you maximize your recovery. We choose the same highly qualified health care providers we send our own family, friends, and team members to. We also collect and organize your evidence and present it on your behalf.
Your motorcycle crash report is a key piece of evidence in proving the validity of your case. It will contain a wealth of information, including:
- Contact information
- Witness statements
- Police narratives
- Diagrams and photos
- Alcohol involvement
We obtain your crash report for you so you can concentrate on getting well. We also collect employment records and medical records that support the compensation portion of your case.
Your medical records are instrumental in more ways than one. Not only do they help us with the value of your claim, but they also help establish cause. Your medical records will include EMT reports and bills that track your injuries right from the accident site. They go on to note the need for additional medical care and your long-term prognosis.
Maryland Law Limits Your Time to File a Motorcycle Accident Claim
In Maryland, your ability to sue a negligent driver is limited to a specific amount of time. Failing to meet the state’s filing deadline threatens your right to compensation. Because several factors can change the filing deadline, it can be challenging to understand and interpret on your own. In general, you have
- Three years to file a personal injury lawsuit, according to Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 5-101
- Three years to file a wrongful death lawsuit, according to Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 3-904
The best way to ensure compliance with the statute of limitations and make sure your potential lawsuit is filed on time is to get a motorcycle accident attorney involved in your case early. This also allows ample time to conduct a detailed investigation.
See why Previous Clients Recommend Our Law Firm
When clients we represented in the past get the best outcome of their case, they tell others about our firm. They say:
- “I was in a serious motorcycle accident… I lacked any medical insurance to cover nearly $100,000 in bills…Adam was able to work with the doctors, hospital, rehabilitation center and insurance companies to greatly reduce my medical… I walked out of Adam’s office with all bills paid and a large settlement check.” – John N
- “Adam Smallow is the most professional, truthful, and caring lawyer you can ever find. He has a very pleasant character… He is always available when you need him… I recommend him 100%.” – Safa
We work hard to make every client we serve happy, and it shows in the referrals and recommendations on our client testimonials page.
Havre de Grace Motorcycle Accident Attorney (410)886-6215
Call Our Office to Receive Your No-Cost Motorcycle Accident Case Review Today
After a motorcycle crash in Havre de Grace, our motorcycle accident lawyer can help you pursue the at-fault driver for financial compensation. Get a free review of your claim by calling the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow at (410) 777-8960 today.