Slip and fall accidents can result in severe injuries. When you have an accident in Harford County, you need a slip-and-fall lawyer to wade through the aftermath, evaluate your injuries, and fight for compensation. The Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow will fight for you.
Many slip-and-fall accidents settle without going to court. Our personal injury team will prepare your claim and stick with you until the final resolution. During your free consultation, we can discuss your options and provide answers to your questions.
What Compensation Is Available for a Slip and Fall Accident?
Any injury means medical bills, out-of-pocket expenses, and personal losses for the victim. Those costs can add up quickly and become overwhelming. If your slip and fall accident was someone else’s fault, they should bear the burden of those expenses. Some areas where you might receive compensation after an accident include:
- Medical expenses, including ambulance, emergency room treatment, follow-up care, medications, medical devices, and physical therapy.
- Lost income if your injuries keep you from performing your job. If you had to take a position with reduced wages, you can receive compensation for the difference in salaries. If you lose your job, we can fight to recover this lost earning potential.
- Pain and suffering due to your injuries and recovery.
- Property damage if your slip and fall accident caused you to break something you were carrying, such as a cell phone.
Our slip and fall accident team will evaluate your case and determine every area where you deserve compensation.
How Much Compensation Will You Receive?
There is no easy way to estimate how much compensation you will receive. In our calculations, we will account for the actual value of your expenses, and we will evaluate how the accident has affected your mobility, happiness, and independence.
Economic losses include anything that has a monetary value, such as medical expenses or lost wages. Our team will compile all your documentation, add up your expenses, and determine expected economic costs to include in your demands.
Non-economic losses don’t have a direct monetary value. Things such as pain and suffering and mental anguish can cost you in ways that financial losses don’t. Our team uses a formula to assign them a monetary value. This figure will also be a part of your claim.
For legal consultation with a slip and fall accident attorney in Harford County, call (410)777-8960
Finding the Liable Parties
Negligence is the failure to behave with the level of care expected of a prudent individual or entity. When a property owner is negligent, and someone is injured, they should be responsible for the losses they caused.
When our slip and fall accident team works on your claim, we thoroughly investigate your accident. We determine who was at fault and fight to get compensation for your injuries. If a business fails to remove ice from a walkway or to repair uneven flooring, we will find out.
Whether your accident occurred in a grocery store, government facility, private residence, or a public walkway, we will discover the liable party.
Once our team identifies the liable party, we compile the evidence necessary to prove negligence by meeting the four elements required:
- Duty of care. The property owner or manager owed you (a tenant or visitor) a duty of care to maintain their premises or repair a hazard.
- Breach of duty. The property owner or manager didn’t properly maintain or repair their property, or they didn’t post a warning.
- Causation. Their lack of proper maintenance or their negligence to make timely repairs resulted in your slip or fall.
- Damages. You suffered injuries and other losses as a result of your fall.
Harford County Slip and Fall Accident Attorney (410)777-8960
Understanding Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere. Whether the fall happened on private property or in a public space, the property owner is responsible for maintaining their space safely, and for good reason. Slip and fall accidents are frequently severe, especially for senior citizens.
The National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI) reports on several statistics, such as:
- Fractures occur in five percent of all fall-related accidents.
- Slip and fall accidents result in the most lost work days. They are the leading cause of claims under workers’ compensation for workers 55 and older.
- More than eight million emergency room visits involve falls.
Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) supports this research. One in every five falls results in severe injury, including broken bones or traumatic brain injury (TBI). With statistics like these, it’s obvious that owners and property managers must do their due diligence to protect those who are on their property.
Some of the common causes of slip and fall injuries are
- Wet floors
- Unsafe staircases
- Uneven walking surfaces
- Freshly waxed floors
- Carpet irregularities
- Loose floorboards or decking
- Cluttered floors (trip hazards)
- Potholes in pavement
- Poor lighting
Most of these slip and fall hazards can be prevented by competent management. Neglecting to maintain or repair property can make the responsible party liable for injuries that occur.
Click to contact our Harford County Personal Injury Attorney today
What Injuries Are Common to Slip and Fall Accidents?
The CDC report mentions that more than 800,000 people are hospitalized after a fall accident. Some of the injuries that people have include:
- Sprains and strains
- Broken bones
- Cuts and scrapes
- Neck and back or spinal injuries
- Internal bleeding
In many cases, symptoms do not appear immediately. It is crucial to seek medical assistance after a slip and fall accident, even when you don’t feel “injured.” Fall accidents affect people of all ages, but seniors often face more severe repercussions.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Building a Strong Legal Case for You
A Harford County slip and fall accident attorney from our firm will work with you to compile a solid legal case. Our team dedicates itself to completing investigations, collecting documentation, and fighting on your behalf. Our familiarity with slip and fall accidents offers you the benefit of our experience.
The Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow will provide you with 24/7 text access. Our client availability allows for excellent communication and sharing of information between you and your attorney. We offer a free case evaluation. Contact our team to discuss your accident, and we can help you navigate your next steps.
Call or text (410)777-8960 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form