Though motorcycle riding can be a thrilling experience, the lack of substantial barriers like those in traditional vehicles puts motorcyclists at a much higher risk for injury during an unexpected collision. Drivers behaving irresponsibly or recklessly can cause severe injuries for a motorcyclist. Accidents can lead to road rash, fractures, traumatic brain injuries, and possibly death.
Knowing what legal options are available to you or your loved one after a motorcycle accident is important. If you suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident in Greenbelt, you may be eligible to collect compensations for your damages and losses. Damages could include lost income, medical bills, and pain and suffering. Find out how a Greenbelt motorcycle accident lawyer can help during a free case consultation.
Why Should You Hire A Lawyer Who Handles Motorcycle Injury Cases?
Motorcycle accident victims are often left with painful injuries, substantial medical bills, and damage to their motorcycles and personal property. With the aid of our motorcycle accident lawyer, you can heal from your injuries while they build your case for compensation.
To begin with, we listen to your side of the accident. No matter how small a detail, we want you to share what you know with us. We want you to know we empathize with what you are going through. We can even provide you the names of healthcare professionals we trust with our own families.
In addition, we also do the following to build your case:
- Gather medical records, the police report, and any documents related to your case
- Investigate the accident scene, collecting photos and possible video surveillance
- Speak with eyewitnesses, your doctors, and accident reconstruction experts
- Identify all liable parties to your accident
- Determine a value for all your economic and non-economic losses
Our motorcycle accident lawyers may be able to help if you have been in an accident. Here are the top reasons you should call a motorcycle accident attorney today!
Our Motorcycle Attorney Will Address Your Concerns
Like most people, you may not be familiar with the legal claim process, so you probably have several questions. You will get the answers you need by discussing your concerns and questions with us. Plus, we make ourselves available to our clients for any questions, any time, with a unique text number.
Getting Compensation In Maryland
Our lawyers will protect your right to compensation and fight against any false claims made against you. Sometimes, the at-fault driver makes false accusations to avoid financial responsibility to the people they harmed.
How The Legal Claims Process Works
Once we have completed our investigation and built your case, we can then file your claim with the insurance company. In most cases, our lawyer will negotiate with the insurance company for a fair settlement. If we cannot reach a fair settlement, we can take your case to court to obtain the best settlement for you.
For legal consultation with a motorcycle accident attorney in Greenbelt, call (410)777-8960
Most Common Causes Of Motorcycle Accidents
With accidents involving a motorcycle, riders face two major disadvantages. The first disadvantage is their exposure. Without the protection a car provides, motorcyclists suffer more injury when the vehicle hits them or they hit the pavement. The second disadvantage is their size. Even if it is only a glancing blow, the larger vehicle can send a motorcycle and its rider flying. Because of these disadvantages, motorcycle accidents tend to cause multiple, severe injuries.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), over 5,000 motorcyclists lost their lives in 2019. Most motorcycle accidents occur because of a lack of safety and awareness, such as:
- The other vehicle operator involved in the accident was under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance, which may impair judgment.
- Speeding over the posted speed limit can lead to injury. The speeding driver may not see the smaller motorcycle as they pass other vehicles on the road.
- Road hazards may cause collisions. The motor vehicle driver may overlook uneven road surfaces, gravel on pavement, and railroad tracks that might go unnoticed. However, motorcyclists should be on high alert for common hazards like these. Due to the smaller size and less stability of a motorcycle, irregularities and unexpected objects on the road can cause a crash.
Most other causes for a motorcycle accident are due to drivers not looking first. Unsafe lane changes, not checking before opening their doors, and making left turns without noticing on-coming traffic are just some examples of drivers failing to look out for motorcyclists.
Greenbelt Motorcycle Accident Attorney (410)777-8960
Find Out What Our Clients Say About Us
We pride ourselves on our hard work and compassion, but you can hear from our clients in their own words:
“I can’t say enough about how professional and dedicated the entire staff was. They truly fought for me to get the best outcome possible. I would recommend Adam Smallow to any of my friends and family.” — Christine S.
“Could not have asked for a better result. Adam Smallow’s team took great care of me from the start to the finish. … Diane ultimately got me the best result possible and made me a very happy client. This is the team you want to work with after a traumatic accident; they will take care of you!” — Chris W.
“When my auto accident happened in the summer of 2020, I had only just moved to Maryland a few months before. Being new to the area, I didn’t know who the reputable attorneys in the area were; I happened upon Mr Smallow’s office and liked that they weren’t a big corporate office. They have been by far the best attorneys I’ve worked with. … Even after they settled my case, they still stay in touch! I would highly recommend this office to anyone.” — Amanda T.
Take The Next Step If You Were Injured In A Motorcycle Accident
When you are involved in a motorcycle accident, immediately make sure you are safe. If you were injured, contact the police, or have someone contact the police for you. The police will generate an accident report for you. If you can, take photos of the accident and your injuries. Then see a doctor right away. Let your doctor run their tests, develop a prognosis, and follow their treatment plan. Don’t skip any part of your treatment. These basic steps can protect your right to compensation.
The police report will contain important information regarding the other driver and their insurer. It also provides an independent perspective on the accident. Seeing a doctor as soon as possible helps tie the accident to your injuries. And following your treatment plan reinforces the source and severity of your injuries.
Our motorcycle accident attorney can then craft a strategic approach for your case based on your story, photos, and the information in the accident report.
After you’ve been in an accident, you should know what to do next, and our lawyers will go through every stage of the legal process with you.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Avoid These Mistakes That Could Take Money Out Of Your Pocket
Things that happen long after the accident could decrease your payout from your motorcycle accident injury claim. For example:
- Did you apologize to other people involved in the accident? It’s understandable why you wanted to express compassion for others who got hurt in the crash. However, doing so could be a mistake. Your kind words could get twisted into something you never intended, like an admission of fault. It is better to say as little as possible to the other parties after a collision.
- Did you try to “tough it out” with your injuries? People who ride motorcycles tend to be independent. As a result, you might be tempted to wait and see if you can recuperate on your own before going to the doctor or emergency room for your injuries. However, by delaying medical attention, the other party might claim that your injuries were not from the motorcycle accident.
- Did you put off the medical treatment that your doctor prescribed? We understand the inconvenience of going to multiple medical appointments. When you miss paychecks right after the accident, you do not want to lose more time from work going to physical therapy. However, it could cost you more money not to complete the treatment. The at-fault party could say that you would have healed better if you’d followed your medical provider’s treatment plan.
These are but a few examples of honest mistakes that could provide an excuse for the negligent driver to pay you less compensation than you deserve.
Contact Us Today
Our Greenbelt motorcycle accident lawyers can investigate your accident and determine a fair settlement value on your recoverable damages.
For a free consultation of your motorcycle accident case, contact the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow, and one of our legal professionals will assist you.