Hit-and-run accidents can affect anyone. Drivers can hit pedestrians, other cars, motorcycles, or bicyclists, resulting in debilitating injuries. A personal injury lawyer from the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow could help if the driver fled the scene after hitting you.
Our Baltimore hit-and-run accident lawyer will start by trying to track down the driver. Our team will use everything at our disposal to find the missing driver and fight to get you compensation for your injuries. When you need help, our team will be there for you and your family.
Exploring Your Compensation after a Baltimore Hit-and-Run Accident
When you suffer injuries due to the negligence of another, you deserve compensation. There are some complications when the person at fault is a hit-and-run driver, but our Baltimore car accident team will work to find the driver and fight for your compensation.
You can collect economic and non-economic damages to cover your losses. You should not have to bear the financial cost of your injuries.
Recoverable Economic Losses after a Hit-and-Run Accident
Economic losses are the expenses you incur after an injury for medical costs, lost wages, and property damage. This category will also look to the future and includes expected costs for future medical procedures resulting from the accident. Some of the compensation we will seek for you consists of the following:
- Medical costs: Current and future medical related to the injuries you received in the accident. These include emergency room care, diagnostic tests, hospitalization, ambulance transportation, medical procedures, medications, medical devices, home health care, home modification, and physical and occupational therapy. Any expense directly related to your injuries can be included here.
- Lost income: After an accident, you may not be able to work, so this compensation covers the wages you miss and includes future promotions, raises, and lost vacation time. We will include your reduced earning potential here if you have to switch jobs due to your injuries.
- Property damage: This compensation will depend on whether you hit while in your vehicle, on a bicycle, or walking. It will pay for repairing or replacing property damaged during the accident.
Economic damages can include any expense directly resulting from your accident. Our team will evaluate your documentation and compile a list of your losses based on your expenditures and the prognosis offered by your medical team.
You Deserve Non-Economic Losses Too
Non-economic damages are more difficult to assess because they involve things with no monetary equivalency, such as:
- Pain and suffering: Injuries cause pain. You will likely remain in pain for quite some time following a hit-and-run accident. Our team will assess the value of your pain and suffering based on your injuries, expected recovery time, and any adjustments you need to make to accommodate lingering medical problems.
- Mental anguish: Dealing with a severe injury, life changes, the inability to work, and a lengthy recovery can affect your mental health negatively. This area of compensation will allow you to seek adaptive therapy to better cope with the life changes required due to your accident.
Our legal team will compile a list of your non-economic losses and, using a formula, assign a monetary value to each area.
For legal consultation with a hit-and-run accident attorney in Baltimore, call (410)777-8960
Working with an Experienced Law Firm Has Benefits
When you need a law firm in Baltimore, experience carries certain benefits, and our team has that. The tasks we will perform for you include the following:
- Investigating your accident to find the missing driver
- Determining the cause of the accident to establish fault
- Tracking and documenting your medical progress and recovery
- Talking with witnesses who may provide us with answers about the driver
- Reviewing available surveillance video or traffic camera information
- Completing any paperwork for filing your claim
- Working with law enforcement to find the hit-and-run driver
Once we locate the driver, our car accident team will conduct negotiations with insurance companies on your behalf. Many accidents arrive at a settlement before a court. However, if we must continue with a lawsuit, our team will represent you in civil court to fight for appropriate compensation.
Baltimore Hit-and-Run Accident Attorney (410)777-8960
With Our Contingency Fee Plan, You Can Afford a Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer
Many people hesitate to seek legal representation due to the cost. We understand that hesitation, so we work on a contingency fee basis. For you, that means zero upfront costs. Beginning with a free case evaluation, we will work on your claim and seek a favorable outcome.
Once your case is resolved, we will collect our fees and reimbursement for expenses, filing fees, and other costs when you receive your compensation.
Click to contact our Baltimore Car Accident Attorneys today
What Happens When You Can’t Find a Hit-and-Run Driver
On occasion, police are not able to locate a hit-and-run driver. They will exhaust every available resource to find them. When they are unsuccessful, you may still be able to receive compensation.
In Maryland, drivers must carry uninsured motorist coverage with their insurance policy. This coverage is available for a hit-and-run accident when law enforcement cannot locate the fleeing driver. Coverage includes:
- $30,000 for bodily injury (per person)
- $60,000 for bodily injury (per accident)
- $15,000 for property damage (per accident)
Having an experienced law firm working with you can be very helpful in cases where a hit-and-run driver escapes justice. Our team will negotiate with your insurance company to receive the best compensation package possible.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Happens When You Do Find a Hit-and-Run Driver
When a hit-and-run driver is located, we can process your claim just as we would for any other car accident. We will negotiate with the at-fault driver’s insurance for your compensation.
The driver may also face criminal charges for leaving the accident scene. That may involve additional fines and possibly even jail time.
You Only Have a Set Period to Take Action
Maryland allows three years to file a personal injury lawsuit after an auto accident (Md. Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 5-101). Due to the complexities of finding a hit-and-run driver, you might qualify for an extension, but in many cases, the courts will stick with the established statute.
A Baltimore Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer Has Your Back
If you have injuries from a Baltimore hit-and-run accident, it will be beneficial for you to seek the services of a dedicated law firm. At the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow, we have a team of experienced professionals that can help you through the entire process of filing a compensation claim.
We will leave no stone unturned in attempting to locate the missing driver. If that fails, we will seek compensation through all other means at our disposal. Contact our team to begin the discussion.
Call or text (410)777-8960 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form