Boating is a wonderful way to enjoy Maryland’s highly accessible network of lakes, coastlines, and rivers. However, this pastime is not without its risks. If an accident occurs, boaters can suffer various injuries. In 2020, Maryland saw 155 boating accidents. Including 64 that led to severe injuries.
Do you believe another party caused your boating accident? If so, our Joppatown boating accident lawyer at the Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow can investigate your accident. Then, they’ll determine if you have grounds for an insurance settlement or lawsuit.
Can I Pursue Damages After a Boating Accident?
You could pursue damages when another person’s negligence caused your boating accident. These damages include:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Reduced earning capacity
- Property damage to your boat
- Emotional trauma
- Pain and suffering
Negligent boaters can cause an accident in many ways, including:
- Speeding at night
- Drinking while boating
- Not having adequate safety equipment on board
- Falling overboard
- Running out of gas while far away from shore
How Much Will I Receive in Damages?
Boating accidents can cause a wide variety of injuries. Some cause broken bones, while others lead to concussions and other head injuries. Whether you pursue an insurance settlement or lawsuit, your injuries form the principal component of your case. The more severe your injuries, the more your claim might be worth.
Thus, knowing the value of your case is essential. Our firm can assist you in estimating how much your case is worth, allowing you to identify low or unfair settlement offers.
For legal consultation with a boating accident attorney in Joppatowne, call (410)777-8960
Our Boating Accident Lawyer Can Help You
Our law firm can provide you with these services:
- Investigate the evidence associated with your case
- Interview witnesses
- File a lawsuit or insurance claim
- Communicate with insurers and the liable party on your behalf
- Spearhead the negotiation process
- Fight aggressively for a favorable case outcome
These services are more than just legal services. They’re designed to give you peace of mind. With the help of our Joppatown boating accident lawyer, you can:
- Spend less time focusing on your case and more time with your family
- Relax, knowing that we’ll do everything we can to pursue justice
- Receive prompt answers to any questions you may have via our 24/7 helpline
How Much Does a Boating Accident Lawyer Cost?
The Law Offices of Adam M. Smallow works cases on contingency. This payment option means you pay nothing upfront. Instead, we only get paid if you win, and our payment will come as a percentage of your compensation.
Testimonials from our clients show what it’s like to work with our firm. Read about their experiences below:
- “Could not have asked for a better result. Adam Smallow’s team took great care of me from the start to the finish. This is the team you want to work with after a traumatic accident; they will take care of you!” – Chris W.
- “My experience has been exceptional. The staff is friendly, understanding, and, most importantly, experienced, knowledgeable, and professional. You will not have any regrets choosing them for your legal needs. 10/10!” – Roson R.
Joppatowne Boating Accident Attorney (410)777-8960
The Statute of Limitations for Boating Accidents
Boating accidents involving negligence adhere to Maryland’s personal injury statute of limitations. Thus, you have three years after your accident to file a lawsuit.
Three years can seem like a long time. However, if insurance negotiations break down and you miss the deadline, you’ll be left without any legal options.
You can use the threat of a lawsuit as leverage in your case. So, we encourage you to get started as soon as you can. We want you to have every possible option at your disposal.
Who Is Liable in Joppatown Boating Accident Cases?
Liability differs from case to case. However, you must prove how someone caused your accident and injuries to establish liability. Possible boating accident liable parties include:
- Another boater
- Boat captains
- Tour guides
- Excursion companies
- Boat part manufacturers
How Contributory Liability Affects Boating Accident Cases?
Maryland takes liability seriously. It adheres to a contributory negligence standard. This rule means that if you had any responsibility for your accident — even 1% — the court could bar you from receiving compensation.
The opposing party could try to shut down your claim by suggesting you:
- Also behaved negligently
- Piloted your boat in an unsafe manner
- Contributed to your boating accident
Assigning Liability in Your Boating Accident Claim
Our Joppatown boating accident lawyer can work to prove how another party was entirely liable for your accident. The first step is collecting evidence such as:
- Crash reports
- Medical records
- Videos or photos from the accident
- Eyewitness Interviews
- Statements from crash experts
Then, we’ll use this evidence to establish these four negligence factors:
- The other party had responsibility for your safety
- They shirked this duty of care by behaving negligently
- Their breach caused your accident and injuries
- You suffered monetary and emotional losses because of the accident
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Happens if the Liable Party in a Boating Accident Doesn’t Have Insurance?
Maryland drivers must carry auto insurance that makes post-crash proceedings straightforward. However, boaters face no such requirement under Maryland law.
Still, many dock owners and boat lenders require that their clients carry insurance. In addition, boat owners may seek out third-party liability boating insurance.
However, if the liable party didn’t carry insurance, you needn’t worry. Our boating accident lawyer can review the specifics of your case and determine whether an injury lawsuit could recover the compensation you need to maintain your financial situation.
Hire a Boating Accident Lawyer
We believe that Joppatown residents deserve legal representation following an accident they didn’t cause. Adam M. Smallow, our head personal injury lawyer, has over 10 years of legal experience. He can represent your case and help you fight for compensation.
Ready to get started on your boating accident claim? Call our offices today or fill out an online case review form.